Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: roman hoard found in montgomery  (Read 7175 times)

Offline monty

• Consul
roman hoard found in montgomery
« on: July 28, 2011, 04:00:01 am »
Hi all, its very rare I post, normally I just browse.  But I thought it worth sharing this link to a recent find of mine.

This is my best metal detecting  find to date  ;D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-14307381

rick2

Re: roman hoard found in montgomery
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 05:20:50 am »
well done !
I am very pleased for you as it is a considerable find.

Please keep up posted with all the latest news on it.

As a member of the forum I think we could lend a hand in the rapid identification of the coins, I m sure there are more than a few people who write here who would be very willing to help with the identification of these coins.

This also shows the superiority of the British Law that rewards the finders........

Had such a find been made in a third world country such as Italy everybody would have kept quiet If you had made a similar discovery there you could have gone to jail as a "tombarolo" , the coins would have been seized  and sent to a useless state institution where they would have laid to rest in store for 10-20 years without being studied. and I m pretty sure the best ones would somehow disappear.......

how times have changed...... from a glorious past to such a decaying present state......

anyway my sincere compliments......

Rick2

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 08:29:11 am »
Monty, if they rule that they are not "treasure" do you get to keep the coins?

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 09:35:16 am »
Monty-

Have you taken a quick look just to get a sense of what you have?  Is there much silver in there?  Were you lucky enough to find any gold?

[And on a side note to Benito.  Note that the Maine laws aren't unusual or restrictive.  They only apply to State owned or State controlled land.  So if you find something  in your own field, it's yours.  If you find in a State Park, it's not.]

Offline monty

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 05:03:21 pm »
hi, if the coins are declared not treasure, or declared treasure and no museum wants them, they will be returned to me and the land owner.

Offline monty

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 05:07:19 pm »
a couple more pictures, the coins as they were in the ground, and the 900 loose ones, uncleaned as i handed them in.

Offline monty

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 05:10:18 pm »
the pot with coins inside ready to be lifted.

it was wrapped in bandage to preserve its integrity.

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 06:05:34 pm »
Totally cool!   Thank you for sharing the pictures and congratulations on your find!

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 06:13:22 pm »
Thats rad! Thanks for sharing.

Offline James Anderson

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 06:49:41 pm »
When I saw the title, I thought it meant Montgomery, Alabama USA. That would have been a find! Jim A

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 09:25:40 pm »
Dear Adrian,

Good to hear from you and my hearty congratulations on a job well done!  I know what you mean by the significance of this Roman hoard.  As I recall, there haven't been too many found in Wales, which isn't noted as a coin producing area.  To my knowledge, the Celts in this region didn't even mint coins.        

All of this reminds me of the Roman hoard that I have been meaning to document!  So much to do.  <Sigh>

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan  

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 09:49:12 pm »
Thanks for sharing the extra pics. Couldnt imagine the excitement you felt when finding that.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 10:10:43 pm »
Man that is cool! So either you get paid (and can buy more coins/detectorist equiptment) or your own hoard of coinage? That is fantastic!

As for the find itself, historically speaking, isnt it pretty far north of most Roman settlements? Have there ever been excavations of Roman settlements in Wales?

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline monty

• Consul
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 06:48:10 am »
Dear Adrian,

Good to hear from you and my hearty congratulations on a job well done!  I know what you mean by the significance of this Roman hoard.  As I recall, there haven't been too many found in Wales, which isn't noted as a coin producing area.  To my knowledge, the Celts in this region didn't even mint coins.        

All of this reminds me of the Roman hoard that I have been meaning to document!  So much to do.  <Sigh>

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan  

Hi, you are right, there is no record of Celtic coins minted in this area of Britain, and very few Celtic coins turn up as finds in Wales.

There is a fair bit of roman settlements in various parts of Wales.

Montgomery though is in a bit of a blank spot on the roman maps, but there are forts and marching camps in the area, plus Wroxeter is about 25 miles away.

This is the first recorded hoard recovered from Montgomery.

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 12:37:02 pm »
That's a nice thing to find, and hopefully you'll get them back.  I myself would have kept it secret, having no love for the authorities in general. 

rick2

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 12:52:23 pm »
That's a nice thing to find, and hopefully you'll get them back.  I myself would have kept it secret, having no love for the authorities in general.  

and that is where you go wrong !!!! , very wrong !!!!

he ll either get the coins back to be disposed as he likes , or a coroner will be appointed to determine the market value and he will receive the monetary equivalent of the value of the coins , while the coins will be preserved as a hoard and placed in a museum.

there are authorities and authories and there are laws and laws
finds like these need to be studied and classified and that s why it is important to have the right legislation in place, legislation that allow these finds to come to light and not to be disposed in the black market.

that s why the UK laws on the subject should be copied by places like Italy , Greece or Turkey so that finds like these dug up in these third world countries (and believe me they are a lot more common than finds in the Uk) end up studied , classified and sold legally in the collector market.

of course had he found them in a country where the find belongs to some corrupt state and he ll get nothing out of it then the story would change

how many lots of ancient coins unearth in turkey (for example) end up sold in european auction houses or at european fairs ?

quite a lot.......

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 09:32:45 pm »
Monty, what do you use for a metal detector?

I also wanted to know what you might think this find worth from a monetary standpoint?

Offline monty

• Consul
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 08:17:14 am »
Hi renegade3220,

I use a Bulgarian made metal detector, a Golden Mask 3+, not many people use them in Britain yet.

I wouldn’t be able to value the hoard as it stands, both in ancient or modern terms, I don’t even know myself the true contents of the pot yet. It will be micro excavated at the National Museum of Wales over the coming months, so hopefully I will be able to post more information as I get it.  

4to2CentBCphilia

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 08:29:28 am »
Having never had the pleasure of witnessing such a discovery, I am curious.

Was there a moment of stunned silence as everyone realized what was in the ground.........or was it runaway jubilation?

You must all still be floating on a cloud.

Congrats

Offline monty

• Consul
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011, 08:41:29 am »
Hi, at the time of the initial find I was alone in the field. I was just numb as the loose coins started to appear, it was more a dream like state.

Once I realized what was happening I telephoned my wife, and she rushed down with a camera to record the moment before I refilled the hole over the main pot.

When the excavation was carried out, everyone knew it was there, but it was still an exciting time as the pot started to reveal its self. No one had any idea how big or small it was going to be ;D

Offline Agrippa1

• Praetorian
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2011, 11:28:52 am »
Hello Monty,

thanks for sharing and congratulations on the find.
As a Gallic emperors collector it would be very nice to hear more about the content of the Hoard.

Best,

Jos   
"Health is not valued till sickness come"
Fuller, 1732

Offline monty

• Consul
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2011, 12:50:32 pm »
Quote from: Agrippa1 on August 06, 2011, 11:28:52 am
Hello Monty,

thanks for sharing and congratulations on the find.
As a Gallic emperors collector it would be very nice to hear more about the content of the Hoard.

Best,

Jos   

as soon as i have news i will update.  i am very curious myself now to know more about the make up and content. :)

Offline monty

• Consul
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2012, 06:22:44 am »
Hi all, just to let you know the hoard was declared treasure on the 7th june. It is now the property of the crown. (it will now go for valuation via the British Museum treasure committee in the next month or two)

The final count on the hoard is 4,874 coins. All ants except one denarius of Gallienus.

They ranged from issues of Gordian III to Tetricus I & II.

I don’t have further details or pictures at present, but will let you all know when I do.

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2012, 10:32:58 am »
Hi all, just to let you know the hoard was declared treasure on the 7th june. It is now the property of the crown. (it will now go for valuation via the British Museum treasure committee in the next month or two)

The final count on the hoard is 4,874 coins. All ants except one denarius of Gallienus.

They ranged from issues of Gordian III to Tetricus I & II.

I don’t have further details or pictures at present, but will let you all know when I do.

This is so great that a FORVM member found a hoard!

Congratulations!

Has it been named yet?

What is typically the next step in the process?

Would you rather have the coins or the cash?

mz

Offline monty

• Consul
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2012, 10:53:24 am »
"This is so great that a FORVM member found a hoard!

Congratulations!

Has it been named yet?

What is typically the next step in the process?

Would you rather have the coins or the cash?"

Hi, it is now officially called the "Montgomery Hoard"

The hoard now goes for valuation. Once this has been arrived at my local museum gets the option to purchase it.

I would love to have been able to keep the coins, but it is nice to share them via the museum with the wider public. Study of the coins will add to my local history and also the currency history of this part of Wales. Large finds in this area are rare, sometimes giving a false impression of a coin poor economy.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity