Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: the Aesti and the roman trading links  (Read 641 times)

rick2

the Aesti and the roman trading links
« on: October 26, 2012, 05:44:04 am »
during a  recent trip on the baltic I have seen a hoard of roman coins found in Riga (Latvia) and currently on display at the local museum

the hoard is composed of 2 low grade denarii issued by commodus and domitian and anonymous quadrans (see pics)

as far as i could find the Aesti are mentioned in a Tacitus book from the I century AD and later their name is associated with the origin of Estonia
From these lands people would trade fur and amber through river links that included the vistula/daugava - Dniepr system rather than germany or the baltic sea

these lands were also the birthplace of the goths

i also include this link

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=DEsZ4J_thHUC&pg=PA175&lpg=PA175&dq=roman+coins+found+riga&source=bl&ots=pz1lNdXyjW&sig=xOUhSQPTaPM4js7S4pSQHzhmBJQ&hl=en&sa=X&ei=LFaKUKKMEuPU0QXGxoCYDg&ved=0CD0Q6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=roman%20coins%20found%20riga&f=false

what impressed and puzzled me is that all roman coins find in the baltic relate to denarii and sestertii dated mainly to the II century
it s like during the golden age of the empire the influence would extend up to the baltic and then during the III and IV century crisis the old link severed

All coins are guaranteed for eternity