Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantine era?  (Read 402 times)

Offline David M3

• Caesar
  • Retired collect as a hobby
Constantine era?
« on: July 27, 2011, 09:35:12 pm »
I am not good with these they all look the same to me max diamiter 17mm weight 1.7 grms.
David V McCallum II

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Re: Constantine era?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 10:55:58 pm »
Looks like it might be a GLORIA EXERCITVS type of Constans (?), Thessalonika mint.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline quisquam

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 02:25:32 am »
More likely GLORIA ROMANORVM, Emperor dragging captive and holding labarum, family of Valentinianus I or Theodosius I.

Stefan

Offline justus

• Caesar
  • Quidquid agis prudenter agas et respice finem.
    • Trierer Münzfreunde
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 04:54:31 am »
More likely GLORIA ROMANORVM, Emperor dragging captive and holding labarum, family of Valentinianus I or Theodosius I.

Stefan

In my opinion too. As far as I can see the obverse legend is "GLORIA RO-[MANORVUM]".

Jürgen
Augusta Treverorum, Germany
Articles - https://independent.academia.edu/HJJost

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 12:56:29 pm »
Could well be. Very difficult to see in this grade.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

E Pinniger

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 01:06:53 pm »
Definitely a GLORIA ROMANORVM, emperor/captive, reverse type though the emperor could be any one of Valentinian I, II, Valens or Gratian. My guess would be Valens due to the spacing of the letters in the obv. legend (I can only see the AVG to the right of the bust) but that's just a guess!

I think the first 2 letters of the mintmark are SM but am not sure about the other two (which are the ones identifying the mint!) Could possibly be SMRP for Rome. The final character looks like a gamma (:Greek_Gamma:) but that could just be due to wear and dirt.

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 03:25:49 pm »
Yep, you all are absolutely right. I see it now. Between the obluique angle and the wear it looked like two soldiers to my eyes at first, but I see the correct reverse now that it has been pointed out.
The mintmark looks like SMT(gamma) to me, but that third letter could well be something else.
Considering the condition and what it is, it won't make much difference though.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity