Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 12mm Islamic? cast bronze coin with "M" pattern on both sides  (Read 1288 times)

E Pinniger

Hope it's OK to re-post this here (I originally posted it in the general ID forum; nobody there could help, maybe posted in the right forum and with a clearer photo I'll have more luck) 
This is an approx.12-14mm cast bronze coin, thin and irregular in shape with a glossy black patina. I'm fairly certain it's Middle Eastern and probably Islamic, though beyond that I don't have a clue!  One side of the coin has a pattern of lines which resemble an M or an E, or possibly a trident, depending on the angle. The other side has a similar (identical)? but fainter pattern.

rick2

Re: 12mm Islamic? cast bronze coin with "M" pattern on both sides
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 03:14:03 pm »
the first arab coins were modelled on byzantine follis and had large M with bungled legend

http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=89360

your could be one of these coins , but the state makes it impossible to be 100% certain

E Pinniger

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 12:41:12 pm »
Thanks for the link to zeno.ru - I wasn't aware of this site previously but it looks a really good resource for identifying non-classical ancients!
My coin is much smaller and cruder than any of the Arab-Byzantine issues, it's also cast. On closer inspection it looks like the "M" might actually be two seperate characters - rotate it 90' and it looks like an elongated boxy D with a line above it; whilst the character on the reverse, also rotated 90', looks more S-like.

Here's another coin I have which looks like a larger (15-16mm) version of the same type. Same cast fabric and geometric-looking characters.

rick2

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 12:52:46 pm »
its too worn out unfortunately , it could be anything !

E Pinniger

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 01:42:40 pm »
After looking through some of the pages on www.zeno.ru, I suspect these coins could be Central Asian, possibly from the Afghanistan area. There are a couple of coins here from the kingdom of Kashmir Smast with similar designs and cast fabric:

http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=26303
http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=54063

The second coin isn't quite as bad as the scan makes it look - when held at about 45' to a light source, the geometric shapes stand out quite clearly.

rick2

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 01:45:17 pm »
in that state i doubt you can identify them with 100% accuracy

the first coin even looks like it might have the Genoese castle

All coins are guaranteed for eternity