Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Real Greek? Is this normal?  (Read 370 times)

Offline BROK3N LANGVAG3

• Praetorian
Real Greek? Is this normal?
« on: July 21, 2011, 08:15:18 pm »
Ive never seen a reverse that has this type of damage before. Is this a real Greek? Is it even Greek?

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Real Greek? Is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 05:14:05 am »
It looks like a genuine Greek coin (slight double strike on the obverse) but I haven't seen damage like that. Maybe the alloy was impure and part of it has corroded away. You see that often but not nearly as pronounced as here. Or maybe it was deliberately damaged, the edges of this hole are smoother than in those coins I'm thinking of.
Andreas Reich

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
Re: Real Greek? Is this normal?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 04:23:40 pm »
It does look deliberate, but idk :-X

I have a Sestertius that looks similar and (i think) intentional (since it seems to almost completely cover Providentia)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity