Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Info on my Julius Caesar + Augustus coin  (Read 474 times)

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
Info on my Julius Caesar + Augustus coin
« on: July 20, 2011, 03:06:17 pm »
I recently got this 20mm coin of Julius Caesar and Augustus.  I am having a bit of a hard time finding a match.  What you can make out of the Obverse legend is throwing me off a bit.  You can make out an O on the bottom right but then it looks like  the greek  :Greek_Lambda: top right with either an N or an R.  I know if its greek the R wouldn't make sense.  Plus im trying to make sure which is the Obverse and Reverse, also which is Augustus and which is Caesar.  I am leaning towards the more clear first pic bust being Julius Caesar.

Thanks Danny

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: Info on my Julius Caesar + Augustus coin
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 03:44:34 pm »
I recently got this 20mm coin of Julius Caesar and Augustus.  I am having a bit of a hard time finding a match.  What you can make out of the Obverse legend is throwing me off a bit.  You can make out an O on the bottom right but then it looks like  the greek  :Greek_Lambda: top right with either an N or an R.  I know if its greek the R wouldn't make sense.  Plus im trying to make sure which is the Obverse and Reverse, also which is Augustus and which is Caesar.  I am leaning towards the more clear first pic bust being Julius Caesar.

Thanks Danny

Danny

It's probably this type of Thessalonica, RPC-1-1554

I'm almost certain that the text you see is the word Thessal ... but before the face rather than behind the head on my coin. The "O" is of course Theta the Lambda is what it is, and I can read a double Sigma in between. The side with the lettering would be Augustus and the anepigraphic side Julius Caesar, the facial features on my coin make that clear. Whilst RPC1 dates it to about 27BC, I've seen it more often dated to the time of Domitian which strikes me as more plausible.

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 04:22:35 pm »
Thanks! I agree... I think that it is a Thessalonica type.    The only thing that gets me still as far as matching up the who is who on the coin, when I look at acsearch for the type it always seems to be that the larger bust portrait is of Julius Caesar and the smaller tends to be of Augustus.   You can see on mine that the First pic has a much larger bust than the other.

An example of what I am talking about is here. It seems like a reoccurring trend with all these types.
http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=446347

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 05:33:39 pm »
Although it does seem that the side with the Thessalonica inscription is the Augustus side. Mine just seems a little different than the pictures I am coming up with for the different busts.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 05:59:06 pm »
Although it does seem that the side with the Thessalonica inscription is the Augustus side. Mine just seems a little different than the pictures I am coming up with for the different busts.

Dunno. You are right on your observations, re head size/style etc. Still I think it is this coin type but perhaps a variant.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity