Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: That 'worst movie' thread somewhere  (Read 12394 times)

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
Re: That 'worst movie' thread somewhere
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2011, 07:43:39 am »
When I visited Bletchley Park some years ago, the mock-up of the submarine U571, used in the film, was parked in the open air. As it was made of wood I expect it has long since disintegrated. Bletchley Park was of course where the Engima codes were read during the war. It's well worth a visit if you are in the area.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2011, 05:56:31 pm »
I'd agree with that.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2011, 01:46:21 am »
Well, Just saw "The Eagle" and I thought it was entertaining.  so-so to bad acting aside, it really wasnt all that bad. Id see it again, but at home.

on the money.
we just got this on Netflix, and i actually liked it somewhat (much to my surprise!). but not having read the book i can't say how accurate the portrayal was. the cinimatogography was quite good i thought, as was the music. the dialogue was a bit too colloquial, but i got past that early on. however, i would like to add a few qualifiers....

if this was a Roman movie, then i liked Last of the Mohicans better.

do the Highlands even have seals?

the ending turned the movie very quickly from an adventure film into a 'buddy' film.

but all of this is minor. ultimately not a great movie, but entertaining. and far less annoying than Gladiator.

~ Peter

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2011, 04:46:57 pm »
Grey seals are found in the Highlands, so that at least was probably right. Unless of course, they got the species wrong!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2011, 05:09:10 am »
Grey seals are found in the Highlands, so that at least was probably right. Unless of course, they got the species wrong!
Exactly right Robert.  In fact approx 40% of the entire world Grey Seal population is found around the UK.
regards
Mark

Offline Tacitus

• Caesar
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2011, 07:02:54 pm »
Centurion - Here is why

1. According to the movie, the 9th legion was utterly destroyed by the Picts in 117 with 6 men surviving.  Actually, several members of the legion went on to become governors, and there is evidence that the legion was still active in 142.

2. At the end of the movie, the men wind up at Hadrian's wall... 2 issues here...
      A. At the beginning of the movie (117 AD) the legions are still pushing north to conquere territory.  However, according to the movie, it is the destruction of the 9th that causes Hadrian to build the wall.  - The wall was not begun until 122.

B. The survivors were gone 6 months, but the wall is 80% finished when they get there.

3. The Romans never posted pickets, ever in the movie.

4. The Romans did not use local trackers or guides after the Varus disaster. Yet in this movie, the 9th is put under a Pict guide who naturally leads them into an ambush.

5. When the 6 make it into the Pict camp, they take the general's helmet and not the eagle. - The helmet has no significance.  The eagle is priceless to the legion.

Just my 2 cents

All coins are guaranteed for eternity