Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin of the Day (Moderator: LordBest)  |  Topic: A seated Homer from Kyme 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A seated Homer from Kyme  (Read 662 times)
Pscipio
Tribunus Plebis 2009
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam

« on: July 10, 2011, 02:58:18 pm »

Kyme in the Aeolis was one of a number of cities that claimed a connection to Homer by putting him on their coins in Roman times. The reason for this claim was that Homer's mother Kritheis (or Krethis) was said to have been from Kyme (there are different accounts about her). Unlike the Homer coins from Amastris (which are rare but not extremely so), the ones from Kyme are, to my knowledge, very rare. I thus felt very lucky in finding an unidentified specimen on eBay some while ago, the first I have personally seen on the market so far. At least one other bidder must have realized what it is as he bid me up way above what would have been a normal price for a pseudo-autonomous bronze with seated Zeus as it was described by the seller. Still the price seemed fair to me for what the coin is. RPC online knows four specimens of the type with the ethnic in oak wreath reverse, two in London, one in Paris and one in Vienna. There is a second type from the same series of which RPC knows seven specimens, this time with Kritheis as reverse type.

Kyme, Aeolis, AE19, time of Commodus.
Obv: OMHPOC, Homer seated right, resting right arm on seat and holding scroll in left hand.
Rev: ΚΥΜ/Α/ΙΩΝ within oak wreath.
RPC online 2469: 4 specimens, none illustrated, but cf. BMC Aeolis p. 115, no. 109-110

Lars

Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com
Tom Mullally
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 10:22:24 pm »

Very nice catch, Lars.  It's easy to see how the less-specialized collector/dealer would call the obverse Zeus.  It's a very attractive and rare piece.

Tom

Tom Mullally

Coin Project - Co-founder and Assistant Director
Potator II
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Error communis facit jus

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 11:58:36 pm »

That is great Lars.
Reading the title, at first, I thought it might be a joke

Best
JC

Pscipio
Tribunus Plebis 2009
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 04:20:36 pm »

Thanks! So the question is: who is the better poet, Homer or Homer?

Here's my only Homer from Amastris, a coin Andreas Reich kindly traded to me.

Quasi-autonomous AE28, 2nd Century AD, Amastris, Paphlagonia.
Obv: OMHPOC, bearded and diademed head of Homer right.
Rev: AMACTPIANΩN, emperor standing left in military attire, holding sceptre and sacrificing from patera over altar.
26-28 mm, 9.60 g
RPC online -, SNG Aulock -, SNG Leypold -, SNG Righetti -, SNG -, Lindgren I + III -, Imhoof-Blumer KM -, acsearch -, asiaminorcoins -

Cf. SNG Aulock 6806 for a coin from the same obverse die. The description mentions another coin from that obverse die, published in ZFN 10 (1883), pl. 3,6, but I couldn't check it yet.

Lars

PS: click to zoom

Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin of the Day (Moderator: LordBest)  |  Topic: A seated Homer from Kyme « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop