Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: is this a Henry vii, Edward 1, Richard 11 penny  (Read 2282 times)

Offline Des P

• Praetorian
is this a Henry vii, Edward 1, Richard 11 penny
« on: July 10, 2011, 01:25:16 pm »
I just cannot tell difference between these I strongly stuck between henry vii and edward 1.

Any help pls

Offline Des P

• Praetorian
Re: is this a Henry vii, Edward 1, Richard 11 penny
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 12:57:33 pm »
Have i put this in wrong section or something

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 06:34:20 pm »
Difficult. I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest Edward IV. I'm not at all sure though.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Des P

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 01:09:39 pm »
It's a hard one, now even harder, it very well could be Edward iv. I was reading that during Edward iv reign mint or initial marks were starting to appear. With this I took another look at coin and notice a small mark on the right of the obverse, a small O next to the CROWN. Could this be a mint or initial mark, if so it would certainly point to the coin being a Edward iv penny.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 07:54:34 pm »
According to Spink's COINS of ENGLAND, Edward IV did use a circle mintmark during his second reign.

Any chance of a larger/higher resolution image to help with attribution?

Offline Des P

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 05:18:27 pm »
Yes of course,

I am appreciative of your help.

E Pinniger

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 03:48:46 am »
From the style of portrait and crown it looks like Henry V, VI or Edward IV.  Definitely not Edward I-III or Richard II as coins of these reigns are quite different in style (and usually larger and better struck), and coins of Richard III are really scarce. And I think I can see "hEn" at about 1-2 o'clock on the obverse (certainly doesn't look like "EDW" or "RIC") - so I'd say it's Henry V or VI.
To narrow things down any further I'd have to look through my reference books. Pennies of these reigns often have small marks like circles, crosses and keys in the field next to the portrait, which can sometimes be enough to precisely attribute a coin even if no legend is visible! This one has an annulet (circle) to the right and, more faintly, a trefoil (Y-like shape) to the left. It'd help to know what mint the coin is from, but I can't make out any letters clearly on the rev. Probably not York as this mint almost always had a quatrefoil in the centre of the rev. cross.

(edit) One other thing - could you give the size/diameter of the coin? I think it could be a halfpenny, not a penny. After a quick look through Seaby/Spink "Coins of England" I can't find any Henry pennies with trefoil/annulet on the obverse, but there's a halfpenny of Henry V which appears to be a match.

Offline Des P

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 05:06:37 pm »

(edit) One other thing - could you give the size/diameter of the coin? I think it could be a halfpenny, not a penny. After a quick look through Seaby/Spink "Coins of England" I can't find any Henry pennies with trefoil/annulet on the obverse, but there's a halfpenny of Henry V which appears to be a match.
[/quote]

The diameter is 16-18mm average all round I am unsure of weight, unfortunately, thickness is 1mm.

Thanks for help and time, hope this will produce further info

E Pinniger

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 02:14:28 pm »
Definitely a penny at 16-18mm, halfpennies of this date are 12-14mm at most. My best guess is a penny of Henry IV's later coinage (1412-13), London mint, with pellet and annulet by crown (no.1733 in the Spink/Seaby catalogue)  though the "pellet" looks a lot more like a trefoil (basically three oval dots in a Y shape) to me!
Two other things that suggest it's a Henry IV coin are the size (a later penny that's as heavily clipped as this one would more likely be 14-15mm) and the style of the crown, which matches that on photos of Henry IV pennies fairly closely.

Detectorist

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 01:43:56 pm »
It is a penny, or the remains of a penny of Henry V. Mullet to left of crown and Annulet or Broken Annulet to right. London mint and is class C or D depending on the Annulet being broken or not.

E Pinniger

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 11:41:01 am »
It is a penny, or the remains of a penny of Henry V. Mullet to left of crown and Annulet or Broken Annulet to right. London mint and is class C or D depending on the Annulet being broken or not.
Looks like you're right! I didn't think of the left-hand mark being a mullet (star) as it looked like a trefoil or possibly pellet to me, the patch of encrustation/dirt on this corner of the obv. makes it hard to see clearly

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 07:45:50 pm »
Quote from: Des P on July 10, 2011, 01:25:16 pm
is this a Henry vii, Edward 1, Richard 11 penny

Definitely not Richard the Eleventh. ;D
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity