Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Carausius unknown reverse... Help me Mauseus  (Read 641 times)

Offline The Apostle

• Consul
Carausius unknown reverse... Help me Mauseus
« on: July 04, 2011, 03:20:43 pm »
I recently purchased this coin and am having trouble completing the identification.  The obverse is on of the best I have personally seen for Carausius.  I do not have the coin in hand yet and based on the pictures I am having trouble with the reverse legend.  Using the spreadsheets this is what I have narrowed it down to.

Obv:  IMP C CARAVSIVS PF AVG radiate, cuirsassed, unsure about draped
Rev:  Figure standing left holding ? and spear
SP in fields
MLXXI in exergue

The reverse legend possibilities are COMES AVGGG, IOVI AVG, IOVI AVGGG, PROVIDENTIA AVGG, PROVIDENTIA AVGGG.

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: Carausius unknown reverse... Help me Mauseus
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 04:00:36 pm »
Hi,

This looks to be a coin with the marks S/P//MLXXI and is going to be either:

1. PAX AVG or PAX AVGGG, Pax standing left holding olive branch and vertical sceptre (RIC - (cf 98) or RIC 141) or

2. SALVS AVG, Salus standing left feeding serpent rising from altar with vertical sceptre (RIC 154).

Difficult to say but there looks to be an altar/serpent on the outside of the S in the left field, plus the figure has a straight arm, rather than the usually crooked one of Pax; yet there looks to be a P at the start of the reverse legend.

A tough one to call. What do you think when you see it in hand?

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline The Apostle

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 03:48:59 pm »
I just recieved the coin in the mail and am still confused about the reverse.  You are correct about a P being the first letter in the reverse legend.  However there is what looks like a P at 10 o'clock on the reverse also.  There does look to be something, perhaps and altar, below the S in the left field.

Offline The Apostle

• Consul
Re: Carausius updated pictures
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 04:15:56 pm »
I have had this coin in hand but am just getting around scanning it.  I lack the capabilities to photograph the coin sadly. 

The obvserse I find stunning for a coin of Carausius.  The reverse is still giving me trouble.  I am only using the spreadsheets and am still running into a wall.  The reverse legend begins with a "P" as Mauseus suggests.  There is an additional "P" at 10 o'clock which according to the sheets should not be there.

Again I apologize for the subpar scans but the original picture is still available.  I would appreciate the help of anyone to give this coin a proper identification.  Thank you.

Offline The Apostle

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 05:46:07 pm »
One and only bump.

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 06:48:14 pm »
Hi,

I saw your original new picture and couldn't add anything new. I think my first answer still stands I'm afraid and what shows is either an undertype from being overstruck (or double struck) or is a trick of the light. I can offer no other solution sadly.

I am, of course, very welcome to be corrected.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline The Apostle

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 07:21:17 pm »
I have never thought of it being overstruck.  That makes sense though.  I will gladly take you for your word and leave it at that.  Thank you.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity