Classical Numismatics Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2014, 12:24:37 pm
Search Calendar Login Register

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  For the New Ancient Coin Collector (Moderators: wolfgang336, cscoppa, Gavignano, Lucas H)  |  Topic: starting to buy a collection 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: starting to buy a collection  (Read 591 times)
Joe B2
Praetorian

« on: July 25, 2011, 08:26:14 am »

Hello, my name is Joe and I was just looking for some advice, I am looking at getting into ancient coin collecting. This is something I have been looking at doing for a while I have read and researched a good bit about these coins but I am still looking for some starting advice. I would be appreciative of any advice I get but what I am really looking for is a safe place to buy, how can I tell if a coin in fake and how can I trust a coin on Ebay? Also what are other sites like this that is a legit buying/ selling site? and how can I display/ store my collection that wont damage the coin? Thank you very much for your help!!!
Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 04:16:00 pm »

Look at the upper left side of the page and click the button that says catalog.

Forum's attributed coins come in archival safe flips, safe for long-term storage.  We also sell the flips

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Noah
Caesar

Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 06:39:11 am »

When you start collecting, post a pic of the coin you wish to buy on these boards in the Identification Help threads.  There you will have numerous experts either confirm its authenticity or steer you away from the purchase.  I have learned to avoid certain coins and know better what to look for, but it takes time and effort.  Start by asking those who know...as you did with your initial post above!  Good Luck!!

Best, Noah

Andrew McCabe
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 07:45:25 am »

When you start collecting, post a pic of the coin you wish to buy on these boards in the Identification Help threads.  There you will have numerous experts either confirm its authenticity or steer you away from the purchase.  I have learned to avoid certain coins and know better what to look for, but it takes time and effort.  Start by asking those who know...as you did with your initial post above!  Good Luck!!

Best, Noah

ehhh... no.

I understand that Forum discussion should NOT be used to assess the authenticity of coins which you intend to buy from other stores. As Forum is a coin store then if you want genuine coins, buy them from your host. It's fine to buy things elsewhere of course but don't expect to be allowed to ask for authentication information before purchasing coins from competitors. That would hardly be fair.

Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 05:40:58 pm »

Quite right, this is not the place to screen purchases.  It isn't just because we want to promote shopping at Forum, though we do want that.  

It is also because we want to promote shopping from reputable and reliable dealers because it is the smart thing to do.  It is not smart to buy things you do not confidently think are genuine from people you do not know are reputable and reliable.  This is true even if people you don't know tell you it is OK on an internet discussion forum.  

It is also because I don't want anyone making financial decisions based on what people say here. It is often impossible to authenticate a coin from a photo. Some people who post are wrong.  I don't want Forum to be responsible for bad advice that we did not give and which costs someone money.

It is also because the Authentication, Fakes and Frauds would become overwhelmed with very uninteresting threads.  As I have said before, members should NOT post coins they think are genuine for authentication.  They should only post coins they suspect are fake.  This makes the discussion much more interesting.  If a member suspects a coin is fake, then they should not be considering buying it.  

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  For the New Ancient Coin Collector (Moderators: wolfgang336, cscoppa, Gavignano, Lucas H)  |  Topic: starting to buy a collection « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop