Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: FORUM sale ID correction  (Read 1559 times)

bakkar

FORUM sale ID correction
« on: June 24, 2011, 05:53:54 pm »
To whom it may concern
I do not know who is the people responsible for Forum sale
but I herein correct the identification of the following coin which is offered
as Zangid of al-Jazeera .

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?param=47245q00.jpg&vpar=1288&zpg=56556&fld=https://www.forumancientcoins.com/Coins2/

while the valid attribution is:
AE Mamluk fals of Qaitbay from al-Qahira mint. This tybe is not published in Balog.
Similar coins are found through exsavations at al-Qahira citadel. I have a similar specimen.
Extremely rare.

I hope this helps

H.Bakkar

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: FORUM sale ID correction
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 07:10:35 pm »
Thanks!  I have corrected the listing.  I spend a bit of time on this coin and did the best I could with my lack of expertise in Islamic coins.  I actually described it as "possibly a Mongol imitative" of the Zengid type.  I am still confident it imitates the Zengid type (it is a Zengid tamga and the reverse is nearly identical too).  But it seems a Mamluk imitation rather than Mongol.  Thanks again for the correction.  
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

bakkar

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 04:33:16 am »
Dear Joe
If you can recognize Arabic legend, you can read "Qaitbay"
on the obverse centre.
This type was published by Paul Balog in his additions and corrections
to MSES (ANS Museum notes 16)
The coin has nothing to do with Mongol or Zangid coins except the imitation of Zangid Tamgha
on reverse.

H.Bakkar

KIR

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 07:34:47 am »
One must note that during this era, the Mamluks have given the Ramazanogullari "as-sikka" which means the right to strike.

There is a gap in western literature on this subject.

One must know that the Ramazanogullari have struck coins for the Mamluk empire as revealed by Artuk, Diler and Izmirliler.
Anatolian Beyliks are known to have imitated Ilkhanid coinage. Other Turkish dynasties such as Artukogullari (Artuqids) or Zengiogullari (Zangids) are known to have imitated Parthian, Seleucid and Byzantine coinage.

Tamga or Damga means "stamp" (but with "signature" connotations) and are found on many Islamic coins such as Giray Khans, Juchids, Zangids, etc.

Chances are that SOME Anatolian Beylik coins, as well as coins of the Mamluks and Turkish dynasties such as Zangids and also Artuqids were struck by the Ramazan Beylik.

The attached below cannot be IDed as either Juchid, Mamluk, Ottoman or a published Beylik coin. The assumption remains that the below is of the Ramazan Beylik as well, and was struck for circulation in Anatolia (mainly Cilicia) and also Jazira (mainly Antioch - Damascus region). The below coin was found in a hoard of Zangid and Mamluk coins.

Also note that the Mamluks gave the Karamanogullari (Karamans or Karamanid) "as-sikka" as well. Examples of this can be found on Zeno, but also Album, Pere, Cem Sultan and Balog revealed examples. To me looking at FORVM's example it is clear that is was either stuck by the Ramazans or the Karamanids and bakkars piece was stuck by the Mamluks. FORVMs coin, due to the blunder and patination, reveal to me that it was struck by "Anatolian Turks" where quantety was more important than quality. It is a Mamluk coin but struck by someone else and it circulated north of Cairo.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity