Classical Numismatics Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 05:08:11 pm
Search Calendar Login Register  

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Other Antiquities  |  Topic: various bronze statues 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: various bronze statues  (Read 878 times)
Attila N
Legionary

« on: June 22, 2011, 02:18:06 pm »

Dear Everyone!

What could be these little statues? How old and what they represent?
Are these possible to date it?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Attila N

Attila N
benito
Caesar

quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 03:15:51 pm »

# 4 Horse. Modern. 
# 5 Cycladic figurine. Modern.
Sorry.

Attila N
Legionary

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 11:07:47 am »

Hi

Thank you, only I didn't know what they represent. Do you think the horse may be a scythian representation? The first three figures come from a very old collection. India, China, the first half of last century? Or these are older?

Thanks for your help

Attila N

Attila N
slokind
Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Art is an experimental science

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 07:16:04 pm »

Personally (and, of course, I am not infallible), I wouldn't give 2 cents for any one of them.  If they are from an old Asian collection, collected say c. 1900 or c. 1920, that is plenty old enough to be common fakes and geared to modern taste.  The first one seems to me to lay it on thickest of all, viz., too emphatically "prehistoric" to be old (genuine).  The "Cycladic" one is pitiful, even among those most pitiful and plentiful fakes.  That is my opinion.
Pat L.
Probably (to address your other question):
the 1st is meant to suggest Neolithic notions of fertility divinities
the 2nd is meant to be associated with cosmic, or supposedly cosmic, lion symbols
the 3rd is meant to evoke western notions of Indian, e.g. Chola, bronzes of Parvati or another, sexier devi
the 4th is "inspired" by Hallstatt bronzes, or perhaps Villanovan ones, and is as phony as that Chinese re-creation of the village of Hallstatt
and
the 5th is an insult to Cycladic marble figures, like the ones in the NAM in Athens (many others, out of private collections, inspired by the Cahiers d'Art volume, are high grade fakes but often fakes nonetheless)
In short, all of them look like stuff made to prey upon ill-informed western ideas of "romantic" primitivism.
Attila N
Legionary

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 03:22:33 am »

Thanks
you helped a lot. I learned...

AN

Attila N
ebusus
Praetorian

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 12:53:37 am »

hello,

I have seen the D/ & E/ ones in Cretan's tourisit shops this year.

They are related to Minoan antic culture, people living in Cretan (Knosoos main city).

Very nice as a "souvenir"...

regards,

bran.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Other Antiquities  |  Topic: various bronze statues « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop