Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help ID this Dark Ages Denar/Denier?  (Read 1598 times)

Offline BIRDSOFPREY

• Praetorian
  • Roll Tide Roll
Help ID this Dark Ages Denar/Denier?
« on: June 20, 2011, 05:59:54 pm »
I have purchased this coin from an English coin dealer.  He thought it was from Genoa by Conrad III.  I don't think it is, I'm leaning towards German, Carolingian, Anglo-Saxon, or Bohemian.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: Help ID this Dark Ages Denar/Denier?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 06:17:08 pm »
You will probably get more play in this forum...also, could you include the size and weight and maybe the pic of the opposing side?

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline BIRDSOFPREY

• Praetorian
  • Roll Tide Roll
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 07:30:39 pm »
Sorry, The diameter is 20mm and weight around 1.5 grams.  Here is the reverse (?).

Offline elgitano

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 06:13:20 am »
Hi

As I can see in the anverse, the legend says IA NV A (GENOA), and in the reverse the legend is something like CVHNA.., very similar to the real legend in denars and grossos for Genoa:  CVNRADI REX.

I think it is an imitative Conrad I-III grosso

I let you an image for a true Conrad coin

rick2

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 07:27:19 am »
its  an interesting coin

i ve never seen imitative/forgeries coins for this type.

at the time Genoa had a few colonies in the middle east , like famagosta and caffa.
i d try that lead as well.

having said that i would probably lean towards the hypothesis that its some sort of contemporary forgery.
Genoa was quite wealthy back then and its currency circulated widely

Offline alexius

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 05:31:46 pm »
It certainly doesn't look like a product of Caffa. To my view it is a bit of an odd attempt at an "imitiative" of Genoa if it doesn't even try to carry the gate symbol. ???

rick2

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 05:38:33 am »
what i m saying is that it s almost certainly a contemporary imitation of a genoa denier.

however as genoa had quite a large area of influence , especially in the black sea this could be an imitative originating out of the colonial area.

similar to the serbian or bulgarian imitation of the venitian grossi.
i should have expressed it better.

Offline alexius

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 05:16:00 pm »
Sorry I should have been clearer-to my knowledge coins of Caffa and the other colonies in the Black Sea area don't look like this. They usually have the gate of Genoa on one side and a Jujid or Giray tamgha on the other. That said, I don't know what this coin is trying to imitate (if indeed it is an imitation). 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity