Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Acetone ??  (Read 971 times)

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Acetone ??
« on: June 16, 2011, 03:28:18 am »
I bought a lot of uncleaned coins from a reputable dealer about 6 months ago.  I set the coins out on a tray and selected a few of them to work on mechanically.  There was everything from crusties through to very nice coins with little dirt.  Nothing unusual at all.  I noticed no smell from these coins at this point.

Recently I soaked them in DW for a week and then removed them to give them a scrubbing and change the water.  The entire tub smelled of acetone.  It is hard to tell which coins the smell was from but it was especially strong on the AE2 sized crusties.  I had noticed that many of the crusties did not have much dirt on them when I got them.

I can't figure out what someone would have done to any of them with acetone.  I only know of acetone for stripping waxes and artificial patinas.  It was clear that none of these coins were waxed or re-patinated and none looked like they had been stripped.  I had handled each coin while dry at least half a dozen times in sorting them and then in figuring out which ones were candidates for various types of mechanical cleaning.

Does anyone know of other uses for acetone?  Have you ever heard of people soaking coins in it?  Especially crusties??

It is no big deal for the coins themselves which will continue to soak in DW, I am just curious about someone would have done to them with acetone.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

dupondius

Re: Acetone ??
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 05:50:47 am »
---------------

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 05:29:10 am »
That's interesting Dupondius.  A few of the larger ones could have been soaked in acetone to remove organics and then when they saw that they were crusty underneath the went into an "uncleaned" lot.

The smell was strong for maybe 30 minutes after I opened the plastic tub.  I assume the acetone had come off the surface in the DW and was in the water.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

dupondius

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 08:17:00 am »
----------------

All coins are guaranteed for eternity