Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: understanding the Aelia Capitolina timeline  (Read 14683 times)

Offline 77HK77

• Caesar
understanding the Aelia Capitolina timeline
« on: June 13, 2011, 12:55:03 pm »
This coin is listed in a current auction as:

JUDAEA. Aelia Capitolina (Jerusalem). Agrippa II, with Vespasian. Circa 50-100 CE. Æ 32mm (18.31 g). Dated year 26 (85/6 AD).

My understanding was the name "Aelia Capitolina" starts with Hadrian. Am I incorrect in that start point? Do they mean just Jerusalem?

My second question regards Jerusalem as a mint. Was Jerusalem minting coins so close to the end of the first revolt? when did they start minting again after the first revolt?

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: understanding the Aelia Capitolina timeline
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 01:21:34 pm »
I duplicated a previous record and didn't update all the information. I've corrected the description. Thanks for pointing it out.

JUDAEA, Herodian Kings. Agrippa II, with Vespasian. Circa 50-100 CE. Æ 32mm (18.31 g). Caesarea Paneas mint. Dated year 26 (85/6 AD). Laureate head of Vespasian right / Tyche standing left, holding grain ears and cornucopia. RPC II 2274; Meshorer 158; Hendin 1282. Near VF, attractive brown patina, small pinch on edge.

Barry Murphy
VAuctions Director

Offline 77HK77

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 01:30:17 pm »
Thank you for the Info Barry,

I am interested in understanding when the minting od coins in jersalem started after the first revolt?

Anyone offer a good reference work (historical not just coins) for the time period between the first and second revolt?

Offline Snegovik

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 05:14:12 pm »
Thank you for the Info Barry,

I am interested in understanding when the minting od coins in jersalem started after the first revolt?

Anyone offer a good reference work (historical not just coins) for the time period between the first and second revolt?

I do not have a reference, but I believe that common understanding is that Jerusalem laid in ruins after the first revolt until Hadrian founded Aelia Capitolina during his visit to Judaea.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 07:28:38 pm »
Aelia Capitolina was the name given by Hadrian.  This city was rebuilt on the destroyed Jerusalem, and Hadrian erected a temple to Jupiter where the Second Temple had stood.
I have Hendin's GBC 3.  I'm not sure if there was more research on this area, but Hendin writes that the coins struck between the years 85/86 and 86/87 CE were struck at a "mystery mint".  The three known mints of Agrippa II are Sepphoris (Tzipori), Caesarea Panias (Banias), Tiberias (Teveriah) and Caesarea Maritima.
I'm not sure if this coin was indeed struck in Jerusalem in 85/86 CE. The coinage of the procurators stopped with Festus in 59 CE as well.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline 77HK77

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 08:05:38 pm »
Thanks Aarmale,

I take it the first offical coin minted in Jerusalem, after the first revolt, would be under Hadrian?
The gap in minting from 59 to circa 136?

It seems the only silver minted was during the revolt and under roman rule only bronze coins were produced. Is that correct?

Offline Snegovik

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 12:09:04 pm »
First revolt coins are believed to be minted in Jerusalem. It had been argued that some of Bar Kochba coins were overstruck on Hadrian's Aelia Capitolina founder coins (do not remember the source). The gap therefore might be AD 69/70 - AD 132.

Offline Snegovik

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 12:15:33 pm »
It seems the only silver minted was during the revolt and under roman rule only bronze coins were produced. Is that correct?

Actually, no to both. Bronze coins of the first revolt were minted in several denominations. AR tetradrachms of Caracalla were minted in Aelia Capitolina.

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 12:32:09 pm »
First revolt coins are believed to be minted in Jerusalem. It had been argued that some of Bar Kochba coins were overstruck on Hadrian's Aelia Capitolina founder coins (do not remember the source). The gap therefore might be AD 69/70 - AD 132.
Bar-Kochba coins were overstruck on anything circulating - most famously, IVDAEA CAPTA issues.

Offline Snegovik

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 01:14:50 pm »
Bar-Kochba coins were overstruck on anything circulating - most famously, IVDAEA CAPTA issues.
Bar Kochba struck upon Aelia Capitolina means that Hadrian founded the city before the revolt.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 01:40:09 pm »
It had been argued that some of Bar Kochba coins were overstruck on Hadrian's Aelia Capitolina founder coins (do not remember the source).

No such overstrikes, however, were known to Mildenberg, Bar Kokhba, p. 100: he only mentions that "Aelia bronzes have turned up in hoards containing Bar Kokhba pieces."

Mildenberg does however argue that Aelia Capitolina was founded and began to strike coins before the outbreak of the second revolt: "Some of the Aelia coins must have been struck in the pre-war years 130-132 and others in the post-war years 135-138."
Curtis Clay

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 01:43:11 pm »
Bar Kochba struck upon Aelia Capitolina means that Hadrian founded the city before the revolt.
There is no doubt that the city was rebuilt before the revolt, so we do not need coins to determine a terminus post quem.  The Jews were not allowed to enter the city, which was one of the reasons of the revolt in the first place.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 02:12:43 pm »
There is no doubt that the city was rebuilt before the revolt, so we do not need coins to determine a terminus post quem.  The Jews were not allowed to enter the city, which was one of the reasons of the revolt in the first place.

This is inaccurate according to Mildenberg.

Mildenberg states that the foundation date of the city, whether before or after the revolt, is indeed debatable.

Eusebius, M. says, dates the foundation to after the revolt, but M. thinks it must actually have taken place before the revolt, since this seems to be stated by Dio Cassius: "At Jerusalem he founded a city in place of the one which had been razed to the ground, naming it Aelia Capitolina, and on the site of the temple of the god he raised a new temple of Jupiter. That brought on a war of no slight importance nor of brief duration." Plus it's hard to date all of Hadrian's coins at Aelia to after the revolt and M. thinks that at least one of the three issues must have been produced before the revolt.

In his discussion of the cause of the war, pp. 102-109, M. says not one word about the prohibition alleged by Aarmale, that Jews couldn't enter the city. According to M. it was Hadrian's prohibition of circumcision that caused the rebellion.
Curtis Clay

Offline Snegovik

• Caesar
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 03:18:05 pm »
It had been argued that some of Bar Kochba coins were overstruck on Hadrian's Aelia Capitolina founder coins (do not remember the source).

No such overstrikes, however, were known to Mildenberg, Bar Kokhba, p. 100: he only mentions that "Aelia bronzes have turned up in hoards containing Bar Kokhba pieces."

Mildenberg does however argue that Aelia Capitolina was founded and began to strike coins before the outbreak of the second revolt: "Some of the Aelia coins must have been struck in the pre-war years 130-132 and others in the post-war years 135-138."

The source definitely was not Mildenberg; I will try to find it. Might have been Israel Numismatic Journal or something else. I remember a very emotional claim that the proof that had been long looked for was finally discovered.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 03:44:19 pm »
I remember a very emotional claim that the proof that had been long looked for was finally discovered.

That would be interesting!
Curtis Clay

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 03:46:20 pm »
This is inaccurate according to Mildenberg.

Mildenberg states that the foundation date of the city, whether before or after the revolt, is indeed debatable.

Eusebius, M. says, dates the foundation to after the revolt, but M. thinks it must actually have taken place before the revolt, since this seems to be stated by Dio Cassius: "At Jerusalem he founded a city in place of the one which had been razed to the ground, naming it Aelia Capitolina, and on the site of the temple of the god he raised a new temple of Jupiter. That brought on a war of no slight importance nor of brief duration." Plus it's hard to date all of Hadrian's coins at Aelia to after the revolt and M. thinks that at least one of the three issues must have been produced before the revolt.

In his discussion of the cause of the war, pp. 102-109, M. says not one word about the prohibition alleged by Aarmale, that Jews couldn't enter the city. According to M. it was Hadrian's prohibition of circumcision that caused the rebellion.
The circumcision law was instituted to prevent the Jews from entering, as they are were circumcised when they were 8 days old.
Hadrian visited Jerusalem in 130 CE and ordered it to be rebuilt - before the revolt.  Yehoshua Zlotnik argues that "Jerusalem was rebuilt as a colony by Hadrian in 129-130 and called "Aelia Capitolina"... And is described by a pair of oxen on the face of coins minted by Hadrian in Jerusalem [The city was founded in an ancient Roman ceremony called sulcus primigenius]".
As well he writes "The sources refer to the founding of the city before the revolt and its re-founding after it. "

See Zlotnik's "The Question of the Conquest of Jerusalem by the Bar Kokhba rebels"

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 03:59:19 pm »
Aarmale,

I don't see, however, that you are adducing any more actual evidence than Mildenberg cites: Dio's statement, and the coinage which probably began before the revolt.

A mere modern assertion does not strengthen the case. Bar Kokhba coinage overstruck on Aelia Capitolina would, however, prove it!
Curtis Clay

Offline mcbyrne21

• Consul
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 04:02:44 pm »
First revolt coins are believed to be minted in Jerusalem.

Biblical Archeology Review had an article in their Mar/Apr edition that proposed a definite location on the Temple Mount for the mint during the 1st revolt.  I don't have enough firsthand knowledge to argue for/against their location but found it interesting reading.

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 04:06:57 pm »
What I'm pointing out is that all the evidence, except for Eusebius, who lived 200 years after the revolt took place, seems to point that the city was founded before the revolt, and coinage was likely struck then as well.
Eusebius' writing on this is not widely accepted.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 04:09:38 pm »
Quite likely, I fully agree, but not yet absolutely proven, as you originally wanted to claim.
Curtis Clay

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 04:13:38 pm »
Quite likely, I fully agree, but not yet absolutely proven, as you originally wanted to claim.
I will admit that my previous statement was phrased badly.  What I wanted to say was that most scholars agree that the city was build before the revolt took place.  It would indeed be beneficial to find an overstruck coin of Aelia Capitolina.

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 02:04:05 am »
Aelia Capitolina was founded twice.Before the revolt when some work was done,and after the revolt when the usual ceremonies took place again.
Will be back with more detail on the Roman laws on circumcision,messianism and other possible reasons for the start of the second revolt.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 05:44:47 pm »
Cassius Dio maintains that the founding of the city caused the revolt, Eusebius that the city was founded afterwards. Coin evidence supports Dio. Eusebius quotes Aristo of Pella as the source for his claim that Jews were banned from the area around Jerusalem after the revolt, but gives no source for his statement that the city of Aelia Capitolina arose subsequently to the revolt. If Benito is correct about a double founding - are there any parallels? - that that would explain the discrepancy.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 06:40:57 pm »
I will bet that Benito's solution, though stated so confidently, is not based on any additional evidence, but is simply a combination of the accounts of Dio and Eusebius, added to one possible dating and interpretation of the known coin types.
Curtis Clay

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2011, 07:14:07 am »
Cassius Dio clearly indicates thet the founding of Aelia Capitolina preceded the Secon Revolt.
By that time Hadrian was in Judaea and his respect for the old civic and religious traditions is well known : "Sacra Romana diligentissime curavit,peregrina contempsit ,pontificis maximi officium peregit" (Spartianus.Vita Hadriani,22.)
The second refounding ,probably after the end of the war with the fall of Better,but possibly after the fall of Jerusalem (again destroyed) one year earlier ,was made in the name of the Emperor by the Governor of judaea Timeius Rufus.
F.M. Abel writes in Histoire de la Palestine (T II,p. 93) " celui-ci eut la satisfaction de reprendre
l'oeuvre interrompue par les rebelles et sans doute saccagee au point qu'il fut necessaire de renouveler les rites de la fondation".
The ceremonies are attested in Ta'anith jer  IV, 6 ,Ta'anith bab,as well as in the Dialogue of Timothee and d'Aquila,possibly after Ariston of Pella "...and having taken the stones of the Temple,he used them to build the wall and the theater,and laboured the (land of )Temple".

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2011, 09:59:34 am »
Curtis Clay

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar