Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A question about Constantine  (Read 1267 times)

Offline Matt Inglima

• Caesar
  • Quid, me anxius sum?
A question about Constantine
« on: June 05, 2011, 03:50:58 pm »
Hello, friends!

I've had this coin of Constantine the Great for a while now and there have always been questions in my mind about its authenticity and I'm wondering what some of you think.  What has me wondering is the reverse where with its many bumps the coin seems to be suffering from a pox.  I'm not sure if this was a result of it being struck in antiquity with rusted dies or if it was cast in modern times.  The edge seems normal meaning there is no seam or evidence of smoothing.  It weighs 2.5 grams and measures approximately 18 mm.

Thank you for your time.

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
Re: A question about Constantine
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 04:21:41 pm »
SPQR,

Certainly looks authentic to me but I hope the experts will weigh in.

However, I couldn't tell you what caused the situation you describe.

RIC VII 188  :Greek_Delta:, Nicomedia

mz

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 07:49:25 pm »
Casting typically leaves pitting, not bumps like this. Whatever the bumps may be, the coin appears struck, not cast.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 08:12:58 pm »
And I will add that I find this a very appealing coin, especially the obv.  I really do like that bust.

Offline daverino

• Caesar
    • My Gallery:
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 09:48:25 pm »
I think that the internet, digital photo's and macro lenses will reveal unusual thimgs about ancient coins that were rarely seen and perhaps never discussed before.

Here is my wild conjecture: The little bumps were made deliberately when an engraver had to reduce the amount of relief on the coin. Hence cut back the flat portions which stike the coinblank to make the field. Easy if you have a computer guided mill but I suspect the depth of metal to be removed was pre-set by making numerous strikes with a drill or more likely an awl. Then he would remove metal with a gouge eventually burnishing away the awl hole. Except in this case he decided that close enough was good enough and sent the die back still with shallow perforations in the die field - which created spikes or bumps in the coin

"When you have eliminated the impossible you are left with the improbable"

Regards, dave

gavignano

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 10:24:56 pm »
Beautiful obverse, coin is legit IMO, likely rusted or slightly damaged reverse die, although just conjecture on my part.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 09:42:24 am »
Quote from: commodus on June 05, 2011, 07:49:25 pm
Casting typically leaves pitting, not bumps like this. Whatever the bumps may be, the coin appears struck, not cast.

Casting also often leaves bumps, sometimes referred to as "pearls."  Molds are often cast too.  Pearls are cause by casting pits in the mold surfaces. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 12:52:26 pm »
Hmmm.
So is it your opinion that this coin is cast, Joe, or not?
Don't pearls typically occur in concert with pitting?
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

marrk

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 01:21:32 pm »
I think it's made ​​of low melting point alloys  copper coating

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 01:47:59 pm »
Quote from: commodus on June 06, 2011, 12:52:26 pm
Hmmm.
So is it your opinion that this coin is cast, Joe, or not?
Don't pearls typically occur in concert with pitting?

The coin is probably genuine but I can't authenticate it (or most coins) from a photo.  It has unusual perfect centering and does not have any indication of circulation.  These are normally good things (NOT too good to be true), but could mean it is a replica.  It appears to have an unusually high sharp rims around the obverse but that could be just the photo.  Its probably just a nice genuine ancient coin.  

I think you will usually have pitting with pearls but I don't think that is always true.  
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Matt Inglima

• Caesar
  • Quid, me anxius sum?
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 12:33:50 am »
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to share your opinion.  I have always leaned towards the coin being authentic but in the back of my mind there were a few grains of doubt.  I bought the coin off eBay about a year ago paying in the high one figures for it  ;) and considering how well centered it is and the overall excellent style of the portrait I thought I was getting away a rather cheaply which made me wonder if bidders were shying away because they knew something I didn't.  Now after reading your comments I feel more confident that it's genuine and that I got a great deal.  Again my thanks to all! 

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 03:50:00 pm »
It looks OK, and while fake Constantines do exist, a high-quality one would be unusual.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity