Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Amazing find! Constans FEL TEMP!  (Read 954 times)

Offline Holding_History

• Caesar
Amazing find! Constans FEL TEMP!
« on: June 06, 2011, 03:01:57 pm »
Hi all! today was an amazing day for me coin wise. I recieved a bunch of
packages in the mail (maybe I will post some of my other finds later). One was a
group of 40 coins I had bought because I got a great deal (there were 3 denari)
on them and I thought I would pick through. When I was looking at them, I found
a FEL TEMP soldier spearing fallen horseman of Constans! I can only find 3 on
tantalus and 3 on wildwinds, there are none currently for sale from any dealers
as far as I am aware of.

Thanks for letting me share!
Nathan

All the best,
Nathan

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Amazing find! Constans FEL TEMP!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 09:05:35 pm »
Nathan,

Nice find! A rarity I wasn't really aware of, not being a collector or student of fourth-century coinage.

The statistics of the Vienna collection, published by Bruck in 1960, Kupferprägung p. 18, are interesting.

Only the Falling Horseman variant with the barbarian hugging the horse's neck was struck for Constans as well as Constantius II.

According to the Vienna specimen count, this variant was rare for both emperors at the mints of LUG (2 Constantius, 1 Constans), ARL (1, 2), SIS (8, 8 ), and TES (7, 6).

At all other mints this type was much rarer for Constans, or doesn't occur for him at all: AQ (5 Constantius II, 0 Constans), ROM (28, 1), HER (3, 0), CONS (51, 0), KYZ (8, 0), NIK (3, 0), ANT (22, 0), and ALE (2, 0).

In total, Vienna has, of this particular Falling Horseman variety, 18 coins of Constans, but 140 of Constantius II. Of all other varieties, none of Constans (presumably struck after his death in 350), hundreds of Constantius II.
Curtis Clay

Offline Holding_History

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 09:14:07 pm »
Very interesting! This reverse is very common for Constantius II, Constantius Gallus, and Julian II. For Constans it is extremely hard to find. There are coins of Magnentius with this reverse, but they are even rarer (I have only heard of them, never seen one!)
Thanks!
Nathan
All the best,
Nathan

Online Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 09:51:12 pm »
Here's one from Siscia (RIC #211) that I got about a year ago.  22.5 mm, 4.97 gm.

Offline ickster

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 10:56:13 pm »
Callimachus, that is one of the nicest Fel Temps I've seen. You should post to the BOT thread and see if someone out there has one to best it.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 10:58:12 pm »
It's a great coin.  I also had no idea that these FEL TEMP's were rare for Constans.  I just assumed they were as common as the other's...

gavignano

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 07:23:25 pm »
Nice find Nathan.
Callimachus - that is an amazing coin - size wise it allows for the beautiful strike and centering. Among the best i've ever seen .

All coins are guaranteed for eternity