Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: I.D. help needed  (Read 298 times)

ed3719

I.D. help needed
« on: May 27, 2011, 04:54:12 pm »
Greetings All,

The final coin of this three part series that I need help identifying is an AE 12 with a bust of Tyche facing right on the obverse and a crayfish/lobster facing left.  Above the creature appears to be a figure standing facing right (partially worn).  Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Edward

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: I.D. help needed
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 10:47:13 pm »

Especially with such a worn coin it's important to post a clear picture, well-cropped; even when I expand yours, it lacks detail on the reverse.  A light olive-oil rub along with enhanced contrast might help; for the time being, I'm stumped, and I'll bet that most others are too. 
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

DirtyBronze

Re: I.D. help needed
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 02:58:40 pm »
my guess:

Phoenicia Arados

Turreted Tyche ~ Prow w/Poseidon Seated

Circa 176 -123 B.C.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity