Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Best of Type Gallery  (Read 38808 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Best of Type Gallery
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2011, 10:26:50 am »
We can transfer to the member's gallery rather than delete but we have suggested making duplicate postings.  Your best coins shouldn't be missing from your personal gallery just because they are in BOT.  And there is no harm in two listings for the same coin.

BOT challenges exist even if no one points them out in a post here on the discussion board.  Anyone can post the challenges.  Dino has volunteered as a moderator.  He will probably post some of them.  Others may volunteer too. 

I like the exclamation point message icon idea.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2011, 10:28:45 am »
We can transfer to the member's gallery rather than delete but we have suggested making duplicate postings.  Your best coins shouldn't be missing from your personal gallery just because they are in BOT.  And there is no harm in two listings for the same coin.

BOT challenges exist even if no one points them out in a post here on the discussion board.  Anyone can post the challenges.  Dino has volunteered as a moderator.  He will probably post some of them.  Others may volunteer too. 

I like the exclamation point message icon idea.

I agree with double posting in both as well.  But someones coin may get more views and a lot of comments from being in the BOT, and they may wish to delete the one in their gallery at some point as the BOT one, even though it lost, may be more "prestigious" in his/her gallery.  That was my thought of moving it to the gallery and then letting the owner decide if they want it twice in his/her gallery or to keep one or the other.

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2011, 10:34:35 am »
I agree with double posting in both as well.  But someones coin may get more views and a lot of comments from being in the BOT, and they may wish to delete the one in their gallery at some point as the BOT one, even though it lost, may be more "prestigious" in his/her gallery.  That was my thought of moving it to the gallery and then letting the owner decide if they want it twice in his/her gallery or to keep one or the other.

As I wrote in another thread this morning :

There is a possibility : open the file you want to move from the BOT gallery to say "benito's imperials", click "edit file informations" open the "album" list and choose the one in which you would like your file to go (you will see there the theme galleries and your own galleries, not other's of course). Then click on "apply modifications" at the bottom of your screen.

About the starting of a challenge, my guess is anyone can do that : I did when I realized the coin I wanted to add to the BOT gallery had already two specimens of the same RIC reference.

Hope it's appropriate... ::)
Potator

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2011, 11:10:28 am »
I agree with double posting in both as well.  But someones coin may get more views and a lot of comments from being in the BOT, and they may wish to delete the one in their gallery at some point as the BOT one, even though it lost, may be more "prestigious" in his/her gallery.  That was my thought of moving it to the gallery and then letting the owner decide if they want it twice in his/her gallery or to keep one or the other.

As I wrote in another thread this morning :

There is a possibility : open the file you want to move from the BOT gallery to say "benito's imperials", click "edit file informations" open the "album" list and choose the one in which you would like your file to go (you will see there the theme galleries and your own galleries, not other's of course). Then click on "apply modifications" at the bottom of your screen.

Potator

That doesn't help the situation if they delete it after you lose a challenge.  Of course you can move it at any time, but it won't be in both galleries and you wouldn't want to move a coin that hasn't lost a challege.  It will just move it from the BOT to yours.  My suggestion was that whoever moderates the challenge, especially if someone doesn't realize their coin lost, moves the coin to the member gallery and then the member can do as they please from there.

If I lose a challenge and my coin gets deleted before I can move it, then you lose the information.  That was the spirit of the suggestion.

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2011, 11:19:22 am »
OK I've now got the point, thanks

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2011, 11:53:38 am »
OK, I will move rather than delete.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline ickster

• Caesar
Re: Worst of Type
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2011, 12:16:49 am »
This is an intriguing niche: where there are countable specimens of a given rare type one could nominate a "worst of type" and one could even aim to assemble a collection containing nothing but "worst of types"!

I've already started on the not so rare types  :)

On a serious note, this topic has brought my attention to some fantastic coins that I am grateful to have now seen (in pictures, at least). I hope this keeps going.

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2011, 05:36:46 pm »
Since this thread has gone for a couple days without posts, may I ask for a summary post giving the rules all in one place.  As I understand it, the intent is to accumulate pictures of pretty coins so types where the best known is a Fine would be unwelcome (let alone Andrew's unique Republicans and most of the coins I would have that could be Best of their type).  I fail to understand how a newly posted coin can be rated better when the existing leader has to get mostly 5's or it would be in danger of being removed even though no one posted better.   Perhaps a summary would make it clear but after reading three pages of posts I am not at all clear as to the concept let alone the details (like what difference constitutes a separate type or why all posts would not be copied from acsearch and similar archives).

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2011, 06:21:20 pm »
In my opinion, posting coins you don't own defeats the purpose. Not that I think I will take part but it's about competition and you can almost always find a nicer one in archives of major auctions.
Andreas Reich

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2011, 06:31:45 pm »
...the intent is to accumulate pictures of pretty coins so types where the best known is a Fine would be unwelcome (let alone Andrew's unique Republicans and most of the coins I would have that could be Best of their type).  

Here is another example, if I have a rarity, which with little doubt is the Best of Type as all other examples are in a museum collection, but because of its quality if I were to post it in the BoT gallery it would get the inevitable rush of zeros and ones from the "cogniscenti". Yet the latter probably could not find a better example outside a museum if they made any effort to research the emission.

A beauty competition as embodied in the current voting approach is a different thing to the Best of the Type.

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2011, 07:24:02 pm »

A beauty competition as embodied in the current voting approach is a different thing to the Best of the Type.

Exactly. I was interested when I thought the project was Best of Type because I thought it could bring out some nicer examples of really rare coins.  Given time, the Beauty contest format should end in a bunch of ties with 5.0 coins  unless there is a provision to compare two coins with better/worse rather than 5/4.

I agree each of my coins is a 0/1 so posting is worthless to the project but I'd still like to see someone post a 2/3 let alone a 5:

Embedded in each ugly BOT candidate is the hope that someday someone will dig up a decent one but meanwhile some of us remain happy to have our 'ghosts' and are proud of their status as better than nothing.  

The top coin is from the Alexandria mint

The second coin's reverse depicts 4 steps (5 is common) Banti 12

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2011, 09:29:16 pm »
... I was interested when I thought the project was Best of Type because I thought it could bring out some nicer examples of really rare coins. .....
I agree each of my coins is a 0/1 so posting is worthless to the project but I'd still like to see someone post a 2/3 let alone a 5:

Embedded in each ugly BOT candidate is the hope that someday someone will dig up a decent one but meanwhile some of us remain happy to have our 'ghosts' and are proud of their status as better than nothing.  

You could/should post them with a challenge as I did with one of mine.    

The challenge I posted:
Pig ugly by any aesthetic and numismatic grade definition, but this is the best I have encountered of a rare type (John II Retowski 68). I can only locate one other specimen, not quite as fine as this, that has come to market in the last decade. So go to it, put-up, or shut-up, and find a better example of John II Retowski 68 for the BoT gallery.

Seems to have caused people to pause and think before they hit the one star button.

When posting an obviously rough candidate in the BoT gallery I think is serves all well to explain why it is posted and thus warrants consideration as BoT. Then all grades of coins can co-exist in the BoT and the hope of finding a better example of a rough rarity might be fulfilled.  Of course this approach may offend those who seek a gallery full of eye-candy and little else.

It is really a question of form versus substance in the BoT gallery. Presently we are swamped by form (looks) but relatively little substance when it comes to rarities. Maybe its time for a separate Best of Rare Type gallery to separate the commonly available and collected well preserved types (the eye candy) from the often rough as guts and ugly rarities that are really only pursued in more serious or highly focused numismatic study.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2011, 09:04:28 am »
...Of course this approach may offend those who seek a gallery full of eye-candy and little else...

It is really a question of form versus substance in the BoT gallery. Presently we are swamped by form (looks) but relatively little substance when it comes to rarities. Maybe its time for a separate Best of Rare Type gallery to separate the commonly available and collected well preserved types (the eye candy) from the often rough as guts and ugly rarities that are really only pursued in more serious or highly focused numismatic study.

I really doubt anyone is going to be offended by any posting onto BOT.  Have a little faith more in your fellow members.  Most collectors have a great appreciation for rarity.  I expect that if a very rare coin is clearly identified as such (especially in the title), voting will reflect the rarity
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

4to2CentBCphilia

« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2011, 09:24:10 am »
If I were to post it it would get the inevitable rush of zeros and ones from the "cogniscenti". Yet the latter probably could not find a better example outside a museum if they made any effort to research the emission.

Personally, I don't vote on anything that is outside my area of comfort (unless it is an obviously choice coin). You are correct, a coin can be in terrible condition but still be a BOT based on rarity. I don't want to penalize anyone because of my ignorance.

Fortunately these rankings don't lead to a trophy or cash award.................because then people might take this all too seriously.   ::)

BR

Mark

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2011, 12:15:21 pm »
What got me was when someone  gave my beautiful little Pan a "2" right off the bat.  It will take a lot of  5's to over come that.  It is a beautiful little coin that was the best (IMO) of small hoard that was offered for sale.  Fortunately, no else has voted on it, so I guess it is safe for now.  On the other hand, my ruby red Zeus Ammon is doing quite well in the voting.  

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2011, 07:19:08 am »
The Bithynians come marching in:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-68136

Now Nikomedes III, in whose reign this coin was struck, is perhaps best known as the father of Julius Caesar's great love, Nikomedes IV.

In 80 BC, a young Gaius Julius Caesar was sent on a mission to Nicomedes IV's court to secure the assistance of the King’s fleet. However, he dallied so long with the King that a rumor of a homosexual relationship surfaced, leading to the disparaging title, "the Queen of Bithynia", an allegation which was made much of by Caesar's political enemies later in his life.

According to Suetonius XLIX:
There was no stain on his reputation for chastity except his intimacy with King Nicomedes, but that was a deep and lasting reproach, which laid him open to insults from every quarter. I say nothing of the notorious lines of Licinius Calvus:

Whate'er Bithynia had, and Caesar's paramour.
Bithynia quicquid/ et pedicator Caesaris umquam habuit.

I pass over, too, the invectives of Dolabella and the elder Curio, in which Dolabella calls him "the queen's rival, the inner partner of the royal couch," and Curio, "the brothel of Nicomedes and the stew of Bithynia'' I take no account of the edicts of Bibulus, in which he posted his colleague as "the queen of Bithyllia," saying that " of yore he was enamoured of a king, but now of a king's estate." At this same time, so Marcus Brutus declares, one Octavius, a man whose disordered mind made him sornewhat free with his tongue, after saluting Pompey as " king " in a crowded assembly, greeted Caesar as ''Queen.'' But Gaius Memmius makes the direct charge that he acted as cup-bearer to Nicomedes with the rest of his wantons at a large dinner-party, and that among the guests were some merchants from Rome, whose names Memmius gives. Cicero, indeed, is not content with having written in sundry letters that Caesar was led by the king's attendants to the royal apartments, that he lay on a golden couch arrayed in purple, and that the virginity of this son of Venus was lost in Bithynia; but when Caesar was once addressing the senate in defence of Nysa, daughter of Nicomedes, and was enumerating his obligations to the king, Cicero cried: " No more of that, pray, for it is well known what he gave you, and what you gave him in turn." Finally, in his Gallic triumph his soldiers, among the bantering songs which are usually sung by those who follow the chariot, shouted these lines, which became a byword

All the Gauls did Caesar vanquish, Nicomedes vanquished him;
Lo! now Caesar rides in triumph, victor over all the Gauls,
Nicomedes does not triumph, who subdued the conqueror.

I have never been able to understand why those who pursue the grandeur that was Rome, favor coins of that secondary love of Julius Caesar's life, Cleopatra VII, over those of his first great love, the Bithynian Nikomedes IV.  :evil:

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2011, 06:18:37 am »
Interesting to make a comparison to the BoT postings....
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=toprated

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2011, 09:38:28 pm »
Interesting to make a comparison to the BoT postings....
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=toprated

my computer at home is still crashed, so i'm using the work computer at the moment so i only have a minute, but does the comparison above only include coins with at least 10 votes? because i know of coins in the BoT Gallery which are not on this list.

~ Peter

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2011, 10:40:03 pm »
Top Rated, as far as I can tell, is simply the highest rated coins across all galleries including the BoT. So many BoT coins will not appear unless they have votes comparable to, or better than, those rated highest in personal galleries. Raises then question as to why aren't the Top Rated from personal galleries automatically considered the best of Type from members collections in the absence of a higher rated type in the BoT gallery?  I'd guess that opinions and voting criteria vary from one gallery to the next.  Perhaps one person's five star vote in a personal gallery is same person's two stars vote in the BoT?

I should add that the link derives from hitting the Top Rated button in the Gallery page.  If you open a specific gallery then hit the Top Rated Button the results will only be applicable to that Specific Gallery. So to see the top rated in the BoT Gallery open that gallery then hit the Top Rated button.

Here for example is the Top Rated in the BoT Gallery only :  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=toprated&cat=-111
The minimum number of votes recorded for a coin on this list is currently 16. The highest number of votes cast is currently 151.  It appears that a coin has to get at least fifteen votes cast to make the cut for consideration in the ToP Rated list across all Galleries or the same in the BoT gallery, but different coins make each list based on the average vote that results. In other words the Top Rated list considers both the number of votes cast and the average vote.  For example, it is not simply the highest average vote on a vote of one that makes the cut otherwise the list would be dominated by all those coins with a single vote of 5 stars. 

Thus Top rated also means those that have attracted the most interest, as measured by the number of votes cast as well as the highest average vote.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2011, 11:59:32 pm »
Raises then question as to why aren't the Top Rated from personal galleries automatically considered the best of Type from members collections in the absence of a higher rated type in the BoT gallery

Top rated is an off-the-shelf feature of the gallery software.  It has nothing in particular to do with the BOT gallery.  Top rated from the personal galleries are not in the BOT gallery, so they are not part of the BOT.   
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2011, 07:44:21 am »
Also, the top rated coins only appear after 15 people have cast their vote.

Offline mihali84

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2011, 04:28:57 pm »
Just a thought... what if the Best of Type Gallery was divided into two sections (folders), GREEK and ROMAN

I know the new way of labeling makes it easy to search for only GREEK or ROMAN coins, but i was thinking that it would be more organized if it were divided into two folders.

It would be nice to just click on the Greek folder and see all of the new Greek additions, no offense to the Romans

A man's character is his fate- Heraclitus
My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=23798

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2011, 09:00:59 pm »
I just posted my first, and what will probably be my only, coin into the BOT Gallery.  I re-photographed my Minucia-19 and posted it.  I’m not very confident that it is BOT, but I thought I would join in the fun.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-68506

Be gentle  ;)

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2011, 12:54:22 pm »
Just a thought... what if the Best of Type Gallery was divided into two sections (folders), GREEK and ROMAN

I know the new way of labeling makes it easy to search for only GREEK or ROMAN coins, but i was thinking that it would be more organized if it were divided into two folders.

It would be nice to just click on the Greek folder and see all of the new Greek additions, no offense to the Romans

I agree with Mike.  The BOT Gallery would be much easier to navigate through if there were ‘subdirectories’.  Roman & Greek would be a useful start, but without getting overly complicated perhaps further subcategory under each subdivision.  For an example; under Roman, Republican and Imperial would be useful.

I know the counterargument; we can get so refined as to become tedious, but I’m not suggesting this minutia, just basic ‘utilitarian’ categories.

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2011, 07:09:43 am »
Great idea to try to make the best of type gallery more active.  I have a few issues with it though.

1.  I am looking at some of the coins Lloyd just posted.  Let's take his Alexander drachm for example.  Looking at that coin, I'd rate it a 5 and I have done so.

The coin is here:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-67481

Dino - Returning the compliment on this one. https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-50631

I just picked up a copy of the recently released CNG's publication by Oliver D. Hoover HGC 5 Handbook of Coins of the Peloponnesos. Turned to page 179 and there is your Hermione AE

Congratulations on the plate coin HGC 5, 751. I haven't checked the others, but you might like to purchase the book ($65 from CNG)  to check on your other coins, plus its a fantastic reference for the serious Greek collector.

Thought you might like to know of the fame of your Hermione. Very cool!  8)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity