Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 17 lost Egyptian pyramids found from space  (Read 990 times)

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
17 lost Egyptian pyramids found from space
« on: May 26, 2011, 12:31:02 pm »
Published May 25, 2011 FoxNews.com

Researchers at the University of Alabama at Birmingham have located seventeen lost pyramids, 1,000 tombs and more than 3,000 ancient settlements in Egypt after studying images produced by a state-of-the-art infrared technique that allowed them to clearly see the ruins underground.

With two pyramids already confirmed by scientists, they believe there are thousands more unknown sites in the region.

"I could see the data as it was emerging, but for me the 'a-ha' moment was when I could step back and look at everything that we'd found," Dr. Sarah Parcack, who led the survey, told the BBC. "I couldn't believe we could locate so many sites all over Egypt."

Because infrared imaging is able to distinguish different materials beneath the surface, the team was able to analyze images from satellites orbiting 400 miles above the earth, equipped with cameras so powerful they can pinpoint objects less than 3 feet wide.

Buildings in ancient Egypt were constructed out of mud brick -- a dense material easily discernible from surrounding soil, leaving fingerprints that researchers could identify as pyramids, tombs, or homes.

The breakthrough find is a huge coup for the burgeoning science of space archaeology, but Parcack believes this is only the beginning, even hinting further finds could be buried deep below the Nile River.

"These are just the sites close to the surface," she told the BBC. "There are many thousands of additional sites that the Nile has covered with silt."

Parcack added: "Indiana Jones is old school, we've moved on from Indy; sorry Harrison Ford."

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/05/25/17-lost-egyptian-pyramids-space/

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
Re: 17 lost Egyptian pyramids found from space
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 07:10:24 pm »
That is truly incredible, thanks for sharing!

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 06:43:14 am »
UK Forum members: Bank holiday Monday 28th, on BBC 1 at 8.30pm, 'Egypt's Lost Cities'. 'Dallas Campbell and Liz Bonnin join Sarah Parcak on a journey to Egypt to find out whether cities, temples and pyramids are lying beneath the sands'.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline mihali84

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 04:13:52 pm »
Great article, thanks for sharing that. 

It makes you think of what other wonders are waiting to be revealed under the desert sands!
A man's character is his fate- Heraclitus
My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=23798

All coins are guaranteed for eternity