Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help Identifying an Ottoman Empire Coin?  (Read 979 times)

treculi

Help Identifying an Ottoman Empire Coin?
« on: June 02, 2011, 09:18:22 am »
I do not know much about coin collecting but have recently become more interested while having to go through my deceased father and grandfathers coin collection. The majority of the collection is 1800 and 1900 European and U.S.A. coins however I have come across 3 pre 500 AD Roman coins and what I am guessing is an Ottoman Empire coin. I’ve been searching around the web and the closest I’ve come to guessing what it is an Ottoman coin around the time of Mustafa one or two. The coin is silver and 32 mm in diameter.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Help Identifying an Ottoman Empire Coin?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 09:37:08 am »

Maybe like this (date ?):

http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=75614

Pekka K

KIR

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 09:59:32 am »
Ottoman AR Kurush (corresponds to 40 Para also) Abdulhamid I Tunus mint unfortunately the date is worn off.
Also note that the locals knew this denomination as Riyal as well.

Dates this series was minted in was 1187AH until 1202AH. These coins are considered to be rare, and are still desired with about 50% wear as seen in the attached picture.

treculi

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 01:28:52 pm »
Thank you Pekka K and KIR for pointing me in the right direction.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity