Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A couple Greeks i'm having trouble with  (Read 280 times)

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
A couple Greeks i'm having trouble with
« on: May 14, 2011, 11:33:15 am »
These two have got me stumped.

The first is around 21mm.  The obverse portrait reminded me of some Ptolemy coins, but the reverse has me stumped.  What I can make out on the reverse legend is  :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_Eta: :Greek_Mu:? then a dot.

The second coin is 19mm and i'm not even sure which way is up on the obverse.  Much of the obverse looks simular to Alexander the great coins with the back part of a lions skin headdress (like part of the mane)  but I don't think its of Alexander. The reverse appears to be a horse with possibly a rider. I have considered Philip II or later Philips.

Any help appreciated.     Danny

Offline rover1.3

• Tribunus Plebis 2012 / Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: A couple Greeks i'm having trouble with
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 11:35:56 am »
First one is from Pergamon, Mysia

Laureate head of Asklepios right / AΣKΛHΠIOΥ ΣΩTHΡOΣ, (OF ASKLEPIOS SOTER) snake coiled around Omphalos, Sear GCV II, 3967

A similar example here,
http://www.acsearch.info/ext-record.html?id=65261

Regards,

rover

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 11:38:19 am »

-- and the countermark over the snake there is likely an owl (I own one a lot like it), while the second coin's likely a Zeus / Rider god from Odessos:

http://wildwinds.com/coins/greece/thrace/odessos/t.html
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 12:30:27 pm »
Thanks for the info on the first coin.

On the second, I believe you are right.    A good example to mine below.   The pronounced eye socket and cheek bone are about all that is prominent on my coin, with the beard   Even now knowing what the coin is, its still hard to see the big picture of the original obverse image.

thank you
http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?search=similar%3A256344&view_mode=1#1

All coins are guaranteed for eternity