Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Any date on this coin? Spain? American?  (Read 686 times)

kressohawk

Any date on this coin? Spain? American?
« on: May 03, 2011, 03:44:48 pm »
Hi, a friend gave me this coin and I have no idea about it.
Any help?

Thanks and regards from Argentina.

Gabriel.

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Re: Any date on this coin? Spain? American?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 10:58:30 pm »
There is no date on this coin.  What is its weight?  Most likely it is a Spanish cob minted in South America.  It was not minted at Mexico City because the cross is wrong.

rick2

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 05:04:33 am »
technically this coin has a date , its just that it is off flan

for me this is a late issue of a 1 reales cob coin struck in potosi
i would date it to the mid 1700s ca 1740-1760 because it is very crudely struck (the earlier one have better design)

you should try and work out what the letter next to the 1 is , because it is the mintmaster`s initial and can be used to identify the coin

to me that looks like a Q, in that case the letter would confirm the attribution to Potosi and the date around 1750

kressohawk

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 01:03:11 pm »
Hi, Thanks for the answer.
If it helps the weight is 2.9 grams and the diameter 18 mm.
So, you think is from 1 Real from Potosi circa mid 1700's?

rick2

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 02:35:59 pm »
2.9 its the weight of a 1 real , as said on the coin.

IMHO it is from bolivia 1750 but everything rest on deciphering the letter next to the 1 which is the mintmasters

All coins are guaranteed for eternity