Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ruthless Romans  (Read 1046 times)

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
Ruthless Romans
« on: April 28, 2011, 04:37:07 pm »
Hi All,
Interesting little finding/report about Romans potentially executing a young woman.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-13211331
regards
Mark

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
Re: Ruthless Romans
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 05:29:05 pm »
Very cool but also very sad :(

Thanks for the post.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 05:17:24 am »
 I wonder what crime she was convicted of before being executed? Attempted murder ? A run away slave? Any crime at all? Unfortunately, Archeology can never tell us these things.

Perhaps members with medical training can tell us about the effectiveness of a Gladius down the back of the neck as an execution method? I would assume it severs the spinal cord, causing instant death?

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 05:29:17 am »
As Terry Jones might say: Who was the barbarian? A sad distant echo of the brutality of the times.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 04:50:03 pm »
If she was stabbed squarely in the back of the head it would probably either have severed the spinal chord or mashed up the medulla oblongata, depending on exactly where the wound was. Either way it would have killed her instantly. If it was a little higher, it would have mashed the cerebellum, which isn't necessarily instant, but I doubt whether you'd know too much about it.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity