Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nero's rotating banquet hall?  (Read 13942 times)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Nero's rotating banquet hall?
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2010, 02:08:10 pm »
Pat i'm in Rome right now and dug up this old thread. In my picture from last year I showed the new excavations between the arch of Titus and the Coloseum on the Palatine side. Going back yesterday that entire side of the hill is closed and being excavated. In fact you can no longer walk along that entire side of the Palatine hill. I'll be going back on Saturday to give a tour to some friends who have never been. Do you want any pictures in particular of the area

The entire site on the Oppian is also closed off. I managed a few shots through the fence but was unable to do it any justice. They have giant billboards up on the Oppian saying it is getting a major overhaul.

I'm using an ipad  here in Rome so I can't upload any photos for another week but I'd be more then happy to take any pictures you may want. Just let me know what you want as a reference point and the direction.

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2010, 04:42:46 pm »
Well, any photo actually locating, in terms of known place-markers, that Neronian banquet hall and, ideally, showing what the ruins look like, certainly would be welcome.
I understand perfectly the excavators' preferring finishing their work before the hassles begin.
Pat L.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2010, 10:24:55 am »
Okay Pat unfortunately this is all I could get, as mentioned the entire area is blocked off.  Pictures are clickable for bigger size.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2010, 10:26:52 am »
a few more...

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2010, 10:45:18 am »
Two more.  These were taken on the lower section, left and right side of Via Sacra.

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2010, 02:28:55 pm »
Thank you!  Those are most useful.  At this stage, no asks for, or ought to ask for, secrets or images of evidence that is still enigmatic.  I'd say the location is extremely promising, and your photos are as good as going there, at this time.
Pat L.

Harjochee

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2011, 04:51:05 am »
Well, any photo actually locating, in terms of known place-markers, that Neronian banquet hall and, ideally, showing what the ruins look like, certainly would be welcome.ipad 2 case
ipad2  cases leather
leather ipad 2 case
I understand perfectly the excavators' preferring finishing their work before the hassles begin.
Pat L.

The entire site on the Oppian is also closed off. I managed a few shots through the fence but was unable to do it any justice. They have giant billboards up on the Oppian saying it is getting a major overhaul.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity