Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Small silver Ottoman Empire coin  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Mr. Earl

• Legionary
Small silver Ottoman Empire coin
« on: April 21, 2012, 10:03:20 am »
Hello all,

I'm trying to identify a small silver coin.

(Apologies if I have obverse and reverse backwards, or the coins rotated incorrectly.)

My coin is quite thin, only weighs 0.24 grams and is approximately 10.7 mm in diameter.

My research using online coin images so far has led me to believe that it from the Ottoman Empire, possibly a coin that is called an "akce".

But I have found nothing that matches up with the identifable characters on my coin. I only own one Ottoman numismatic reference, the two volumes that make up the title "Osmanli Imparatorlugu Madeni Paralari: Ottoman Empire Coins" by K. Uslu, M. Beyazit, and T. Kara. Again, using that reference, I haven't found a match for the characters on my coin. That may mean that my coin was struck before the year 1687, which is the earliest date that these volumes cover.

Any help identifying this coin would be much appreciated. Any book recommendations that might help with this coin would also be of interest to me.

Thanks!

Earl

iaculator

Re: Small silver Ottoman Empire coin
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 04:11:53 am »
Otoman Empire.

One of the sons of Sutan Ahmed I (1603-1617) but we can't read the name.

Osman II (1618-1622) or Murad IV (1622-1640) or latest Sultan Ibrahim (1640-1648)

My personal opinion Ibrahim.

Sincerely

All coins are guaranteed for eternity