Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New collector here.  (Read 1746 times)

RobH3

New collector here.
« on: May 09, 2011, 08:26:00 pm »
Hi everyone. I joined about a month ago, and have a grand total of 3 ancient coins. My Dad gave me the first one from his inventory, and I bought 2 yesterday at the coin show, I work for him.  He gave me a Constantitius II, Soldier spearing falling horseman. Yesterday I picked up 2 from another dealer. He said right up front that he had no idea what they are, or whether the are authentic or not. He offered full money back if I find out that they are not authentic, but the price was so low, I don't care. 
I have read 2 books so far, and spend a lot of time here. I hope to go to Baltimore next month.
My plan is to look a lot and buy a little, until a real interest strikes. I do not ever plan to  sell my coins. They will be given away to the YN program at the coin club. These are pleasure/entertainment purchases.  I have read here to buy what strikes you, and that is the phase I am in now. I think I have identified both of the coins bought yesterday.
Anyway, at 37 years old with a father in the business, I finally found something that struck my interest. I enjoy this website, it is an excellent resource.

Robert

gavignano

Re: New collector here.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 09:08:54 pm »
Welcome Rob - Warning - this site is addictive!

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 09:09:31 pm »
hi Robert, and welcome!   :)

you already have the right approach, imo. look at as many coins as you can and just buy what really grabs you. since you have access to your father's inventory as well as a number of shows the first part of that formula should present no problem.
i look forward to seeing what you buy, and good luck!  

~ Peter

RobH3

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 06:45:10 am »
Thank you for the welcome. The funny thing is, my Dad has NO ancients. Never had an interest in them and knows nothing about them.

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 08:59:30 am »
The funny thing is, my Dad has NO ancients. Never had an interest in them and knows nothing about them.

I am not surprised that your father does not stock ancients.  While collectors of ancient/medieval coins and collectors of modern series coins (I am speaking predominantly of U.S. series coins) both call themselves "coin collectors," their mindset is so different that they might as well be classed as different hobbies entirely (like coins and stamps are).

It is human nature to want to find your own thing, rather than to remain in your father's shadow.  There may well be other reasons that you discovered ancients, but I would not discount the human desire to be yourself.

I only wish that my son (or daughter) had an interest in collecting coins -- of whatever type.  I tried...  That could be a topic for its own thread:  How many of us have a parent who is a coin collector (and how do your collecting tastes differ from that of your parent), and how many of us have a child who does or does not collect?

Offline mcbyrne21

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 09:02:31 am »
Hello and welcome Rob! Seems like many coin dealers don't have much to do with ancients.  Which I guess given how expansive the field is kind of makes sense.  Sounds like you have a great opportunity to visit lots of coins shows though which I would find enjoyable.  There are several shows on a regular basis where I live but after a couple years of going I've picked through them pretty well already.

Don't know if you saw it already but there was a thread a couple weeks ago about recommended reading for beginners. I've already used it to find and read a couple excellent books I wasn't aware of previously.

Cheers,
mcbyrne  

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 09:28:01 am »
...I enjoy this website, it is an excellent resource.

It is also, just in case you missed it, a shop
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 10:57:21 am »

And a very good one at that.  What I like about FORVM is that there are coins for beginners looking to spend $20, and there are coins for the passionate and deep-pocketed looking to spend thousands of dollars.
Sosius

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=24203
650+ coins and about 2/3 done--I have a coin problem

Offline Steve E

• Caesar
  • My favorite Forvm purchase, so far!
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 04:11:13 pm »

And a very good one at that.  What I like about FORVM is that there are coins for beginners looking to spend $20, and there are coins for the passionate and deep-pocketed looking to spend thousands of dollars.

And there are coins for those who want to spend $20 a month for 5 months to get a nice $100 treasure :) Layaway!

RobH3

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 06:59:22 pm »

Oh, I found it!!

It is a great tool to gauge coin values. I also have done some shopping, but have not committed to anything yet.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity