Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Fancy a dinner date?  (Read 763 times)

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
Fancy a dinner date?
« on: April 18, 2011, 11:26:42 am »
Date proposed for the last supper
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-13114124
regards
Mark

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: Fancy a dinner date?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 05:12:45 pm »
Except that the article misses the change from a lunar to a solar calendar. Mark and Luke are ambiguous as to the exact date, but Matthew has the Last Supper taking place in the evening before the Passover lambs were sacrificed. The Jews reckon the day from evening to evening, so the date was 15 Nisan, and it was the night of the first full moon after the vernal equinox. John changes the date of the Crucifixion, purely for theological reasons. The full moon can obviously occur on any day of the week, and since we don't know the year Jesus died, there's absolutely no way to pin it down to an exact date.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
Re: Fancy a dinner date?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 05:34:01 pm »
See, that's the sort of eloquent argument I expect from Robert.  Full of facts that not only put his argument across, but also enlighten more ignorant people like myself.
If I had to argue the idea of an exact date for the supposed last supper it would have been more like - "I can't remember the date I had my last birthday meal on and that was only a month ago, so I can't believe that anyone would be able to work out the date of the last supper from nearly 2,000 years ago!" :D
regards
Mark

All coins are guaranteed for eternity