Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: casata137ec's before and after rd 13  (Read 1501 times)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
casata137ec's before and after rd 13
« on: April 17, 2011, 10:50:07 am »

Well here it is. I am not pleased with the results, as a matter of fact I ahve been done for a couple of months now and all of them with the exception of the alexandrian tet would have gone in the junk pile had it not been for the contest. I know that I cannot win, or even be judged, but still! I must say taht the Alexandrian tet was worth the price of admission though!  ;D

Chris

Alexandria mint, Diocletian tetradrachm, 284-305 (287/288) A.D. potin, 20mm 8.32g, BMC Alexandria 2522
O: AKΓOVAΔIOKΛHTI ANOCCEB, bust r., laur; wears cuirass
R: Nike running l., holds wreath and palm LΔ to l.

Unknown, possibly Alexandrian due to flan shape
20mm 9.29g

Con… 16mm 2.08g
O: illegible, draped, cuirassed, and laureate, emperor r.
R: FEL TEMP REPARATIO, horseman spearing fallen soldier
Ex: illegible

Unknown, possibly Judean due to flan shape
14mm 2.48g

Arcadius, 13mm 1.56g
O: DN ARCADIVS PF AVG, pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed bust r.
R: VOT X MVLT XX within wreath
Ex: illegible
(13 variant of this size on Helvetica’s sheets, Cyzicus, Antioch, and Alexandria mints)

Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Romanorum

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • Romanorum Ancient Coins
Re: casata137ec's before and after rd 13
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 08:09:09 pm »
Excellent effort!  You definitely got a tough lot, and obviously toiled to get them to this point. Very impressive...
  I agree, the Diocletian is worth the entry. 

Saúl

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 02:55:25 am »
Darn you!  You made me want to order a Tetrarchy Tet.  You did a very nice job.  Can you elucidate a little on what you did to clean the nicer Tet?

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 10:04:50 pm »
Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments. I wish I could have done better though! lol (I am very good at self criticism!)

@cliff - Let's see...it has been a while since I cleaned it, but if I remember correctly I simply soaked in distilled water, knocked down the high parts of the corrosion with a coarse diamond dusted dental pick, got it almost to the flan with some super fine diamond dusted dental drill bits (*note if you use these fine bits, keep water handy as they get clogged smooth fairly rapidly and have to be cleaned often)in a pin vice (one of my clients is a dentist and he hooked me up with a handful of these in various shapes, sizes, and grittiness), shaved off the red boil that was around Nike's head with my trusty angle bladed exacto, and cleaned the rest of the corrosion with my round bladed exacto. It took about a week to clean, if I am remembering properly.
Yes, this one turned out all right...pretty good actually (I like the Nike), but to be completely honest with you, these are pretty easy to clean. My theory is that with the hodge-podge of metals in these "potin" tets, the blue junk on top is simply the powdery residue of the copper leeching out from the coin (on top of the flan, like it is sweating out, not actually "in" the flan). The red boils can be much tougher, but the blue junk on these guys is no big deal. On the other hand, I have spent the last few years cleaning coins on a regular basis, so it may just be easy because I know what I am looking at/for! lol

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

All coins are guaranteed for eternity