Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help with ID, may be provential  (Read 759 times)

Offline Barabus

• Consul
Help with ID, may be provential
« on: April 14, 2011, 02:46:38 pm »
 This coin is 27mm and 9.5 g. Sorry about the photo,but I'm just learning its functions. Any help would be nice! Thanks in advance.
Organized religion is the second oldest profession, and nowhere near as honest as the first.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Help with ID, may be provential
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 02:54:42 pm »
Definitely provincial, "seems" to be Gordian III from a Moesia Inferior mint. Can you make out any letters on the reverse? I can't.
PeteB

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 03:00:17 pm »
I took another look and it seems I see ΥΠ CAB....beginning from 7 o'clock, which would make it the legate Modestus, from Nicopolis.
PeteB

Offline Barabus

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 03:36:25 pm »
 Thank you for your help! I'm sorry,but my old eyes even with glasses are not any help reading the letters. So its Gordian lll from Nicopolis.Who is on the reverse? It looks like it maybe Asklepios with serpent entwained staff?
Organized religion is the second oldest profession, and nowhere near as honest as the first.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 05:38:30 pm »
Possibly. Or maybe Sarapis. I can't make it out either.
PeteB

Online Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 05:55:17 pm »
I think it is the standard depiction of Asklepios.

Best regards

Offline Barabus

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 06:46:39 pm »
 I want to thank everyone for assisting me! Now back to learning this P2B camera.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity