Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: M. Aurelius as Caesar--maybe?  (Read 534 times)

Offline laney

• Caesar
M. Aurelius as Caesar--maybe?
« on: April 13, 2011, 05:38:41 pm »
AE  23 X 25 mm  11.71 g

O:  ...ELIVS CAES...ANTONI...  laureate head right
R:  ..PX COS I...  Minerva standing left holding (owl? Victory?) and spear, shield at feet

With what is visible on the obverse legend, I guess it could be either A. Pius or M. Aurelius--but I haven't found a match for either with a coin of this size.  Thanks for any help with attribution.

Laney

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: M. Aurelius as Caesar--maybe?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 06:24:06 pm »
Yes, apparently Aurelius as Caesar,

AVRELIVS CAES ANTON AVG PII F

TR POT X COS II S - C Minerva standing l. holding owl and spear, shield behind her legs.

These types are published on sestertii, but not on a middle bronze. However in 2003 I acquired a yellow dupondius with these types.

A lot of middle bronzes of 156, Pius TR P XIX = Marcus TR P X, have been emerging from Bulgaria since the fall of the Iron Curtain. The province apparently received a substantial shipment of such coins directly from the mint!
Curtis Clay

Offline laney

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 06:40:09 pm »
Thanks so much Curtis--as always. 

Laney

Offline Tacitus

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 09:11:27 pm »
Curtis - Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't there a lot of coins from this period, that are only supposed to be on As or Dupondius, but are being found on other coins?  I remember a posting from a week or so ago, where the obv / rev were only supposed to be on dupondius, but the coin the person had was a As....

Were these coins styles interchangeable on a whim at the mint?  Or did someone simply strike the wrong blank?

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 06:58:04 pm »
Tacitus,

Ancient mints struck a large number of rare varieties. All commoner types, and the rare ones the cataloguer had knowledge of, are recorded in the standard catalogues. But that is usually nothing like a full report of every variety produced, and new ones tend to turn up quite frequently!

No need to regard the new variants as "mules" or to think they must be irregular because not recorded before: in most cases they have just as much right to be considered normal and intentional as the variants previously known!

The dupondius / As distinction is a special case for Caesars and for empresses up to Mamaea, since there was no typological difference (radiate crown or crescent below bust), so only the metal color distinguishes the two denominations. What exists is largely unknown, because Cohen made no attempt to distinguish the denominations, and Mattingly's attempt to do so in the BMC footnotes is unreliable, since he relied primarily on weight which is not a valid criterion.
Curtis Clay

Offline Tacitus

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 03:13:42 pm »
Thank you Curtis... I notice Sear describes coins as Brass Dupondis / Copper As.. to show that coins were minted with the same dies in either denomination.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity