Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Marcus Aurelius?  (Read 322 times)

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
Marcus Aurelius?
« on: April 06, 2011, 12:20:45 am »
This coin was labeled as Marcus Aurelius but I think it looks a bit more like Antoninus Pius.  Both emperors have a similar reverse type, but I can't pin point it exactly for either emperor on wildwinds or acsearch.

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Marcus Aurelius?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 02:05:32 pm »

Here's a sestertius version of what looks like your coin: http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=440445
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 03:21:59 pm »
That does seem to match pretty well.  Do you think in my coin that the beard is just worn away or that there is no beard.  That is actually what has thrown me off the most, is the lack of a beard and the more prominent chin like Antoninus Pius. I know there are a few coins of Marcus Aurelius without a beard.

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 05:01:05 pm »

The linked coin portrays MA as Caesar, hence young; perhaps there was a still younger portrait with less of a beard and a few features borrowed from AP, but still flagged with the same RIC number.
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 05:22:23 pm »
Thanks for your help.   I now feel more comfortable believing that the coin is indeed of Marcus Aurelius

All coins are guaranteed for eternity