Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Septimius Severus Denarius. Should I try and take this further? If so.... how?  (Read 1478 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
I bought a denarius of Septimius Severus from Laodicea-ad-mare, which was being sold as a limes. The dealer images were poor but I suspected it to be a heavily toned silver coin. When the coin arrived a discrete investigation on the edge confirmed it to be silver. The coin was not very appealing in hand as it was and so I broke one of my own rules and decided to have a go at cleaning it.

I have used short soaks in a mild vinegar solution and then brushing with a soft nylon brush an a softened

I have attached a before and the current image of the coin but now would like some advice.

Did I do the right thing?

Now that I have gone this far should I go any further to clean off the remaining adhesions?

If so then how should I proceed?

Martin

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
I personally use lemon juice in the same manner you already have with vinegar. The stuff that is remaining will leave after repeated soaks/brushing, but when I say repeated, I mean repeated...as in it will take a while (a week or so probably). Don't be tempted into mechanincally reducing, as you have a very good chance of scratching/gouging the flan. I would aslo suggest that you not try the foil method as these eastern dens tend  to start looking coppery if you do. Be advised though, you will lose all the toning left.

I would say that you have proceeded perfectly to this point!

Chris

PS What's that character before the the S in SEP?
C.
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Many thanks for the reply Chris. The advice is well taken and I think that I will persist.
The letter is an L.
Regards,
Martin

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Many thanks for the reply Chris. The advice is well taken and I think that I will persist.
The letter is an L.
Regards,
Martin

How has the progress been?

Chris

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
I have just started work after being out of work for over 7 months and so I haven't made any progress with this coin in the last few weeks. I hope to have a chance to attack the coin again in the next week or so. I will post results when I have them.
Regards,
Martin

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Congrats on the job and I fully understand. :) (still looking forward though!)

Chris

Offline Emmett

• Praetorian
Very nice job on the coin.

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
An update with regards to this coin. I know it has been a while but have only been around infrequently over the last few weeks to be able to proceed.
After several soaks and a bit of rubbing with a softened wooden toothpick I think I am almost there with this one. I might even flip it as it is to be honest as I think I am at the point of diminishing returns with this coin.
I just thought I would share with you how I have ended up.
Regards,
Martin

Offline Snegovik

• Caesar
Great job! I like that some toning is left and no scratches.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Make sure that the lemon juice is neutralized (I usually just soak in a light solution of baking soda and DW), but other than that, great job!

Chris

All coins are guaranteed for eternity