Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Faustina Jr. Sestertius: Who's That on Reverse?  (Read 1729 times)

Jericho

Faustina Jr. Sestertius: Who's That on Reverse?
« on: February 08, 2004, 09:22:34 pm »
Here's a sestertius of Faustina Jr.  Not a pretty coin overall but the portrait is quite nice for the grade.  My question regards the reverse.  Who is that holding cornucopiae and?    Liberalitis would hold a terresa in that hand, but it sure doesn't look like that.  And it's being help upright which should eliminate a patera.  Any ideas?  The coin is 30mm and 3mm thick.

EmpressCollector

Re:Faustina Jr. Sestertius: Who's That on Reverse?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 10:20:02 pm »
Issued under Antoninus Pius.

That is not a cornucopiae in her l. arm, but a child wrapped in swaddling cloths:
Obv: FAVSTINAE AVG PII AVG FIL, draped bust, r. with stephane around head.
Rev: VENERI GENETRICI SC, Venus standing l., holding apple and child.
Refs: RIC 1386 (b), Cohen 237, BMCRE 2145, Sear 4718.

Interesting in that from the inscription, it must be Faustina Jr., but the profile of the empress looks more like her mother.

I cannot find an example online at wildwinds or coin archives :(

Jericho

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 11:15:39 pm »
Issued under Antoninus Pius.

That is not a cornucopiae in her l. arm, but a child wrapped in swaddling cloths:
Obv: FAVSTINAE AVG PII AVG FIL, draped bust, r. with stephane around head.
Rev: VENERI GENETRICI SC, Venus standing l., holding apple and child.
Refs: RIC 1386 (b), Cohen 237, BMCRE 2145, Sear 4718.

Interesting in that from the inscription, it must be Faustina Jr., but the profile of the empress looks more like her mother.

I cannot find an example online at wildwinds or coin archives :(

Thanks EC  :), I always appreciate your help and extensive references.  This coin came in a lot purchased about a year ago... I think this was the only one I saved.

EmpressCollector

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 12:58:04 am »
More about your coin:

Venus in her aspect as the divine ancestress of the Roman people was known as Venus Genetrix.  According to legend, and as recorded in Virgil’s Aeneid, Aeneas was the son of Venus who fled Troy after its destruction and founded the city of Rome.  Julius Caesar, being of the Gens Julia, claimed direct descent from Venus Genetrix and Aeneas.  Julius Caesar built a Temple of Venus Genetrix in his new forum.  Most depictions of Venus Genetrix on Roman coinage are of the statue in the Forum, and do not directly refer to pregnancy or fertility.  However, this particular issue depicting the goddess specifically commemorates the birth of Faustina Junior’s first child in December, 147, the occasion of her proclamation as Augusta and of Marcus Aurelius’ assumption of the tribunician power.

I have found a photo of your coin.  It is from Juan R. Cayon, Los Sestercios del Imperio Romano, Vol. III, p. 180.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity