Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Marcus Aurelius reference help  (Read 532 times)

Offline Jan

• Consul
Marcus Aurelius reference help
« on: March 23, 2011, 03:28:31 pm »
I have trouble finding this coin in RIC and appreciate any assistance. The closest I get is a dupondius with TR POT XIX IMP II COS III (RIC 907), but not with IMP III.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Jan

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Marcus Aurelius reference help
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 03:54:18 pm »
Not in RIC but it is listed in BMC, 1252.

Barry Murphy

Offline Jan

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 04:02:37 pm »
Great, thank you! I thought RIC covered BMC well, but I do not usually collect coins from this time period. Does this mean that it is an uncommon coin?

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 04:49:31 pm »
The rarity can't easily be judged, since there are no published hoards containing numerous dupondii of Marcus, and no one has yet published a thorough catalogue of Marcus' coins, specifying how many specimens of each variety can be found in important public collections, in sales literature, on the web, and so on.

Probably a scarce dupondius in any case, since not in Cohen or RIC, but there may be numerous specimens in collections and catalogues that we don't know about. Yours is from different dies than the BM one, BMC pl. 78.15.

A minor detail on your reverse that I don't find on the illustrated BM sestertii and dupondii of this type: Providentia's wand is seen above her hand as well as below it; she grasps it part way down, rather than at the upper end.
Curtis Clay

Offline Jan

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 05:20:48 pm »
Thank you for your help and the detailed information. A nice and a bit surprising find since it came in small lot that I bought to get one of the other coins.

Jan

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 05:49:48 pm »
Surprisingly nice condition for a coin in a lot!
Curtis Clay

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 06:26:00 pm »
The patina looks strange to me though, especially on the obverse.
Andreas Reich

Offline Tacitus

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 10:08:35 pm »
The thing that worried me is the bright green spots.
Would this be Bronze Disease?

Offline Jan

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 03:13:19 am »
It came in a lot that I bought at a coin auction, which was focused on medieval and later coins but had a small ancient section. They turned out to better than I hoped for, but I still had to pay for them :)

The patina looks alright under a stereomicroscope with some remaining patina on top of the black layer. No bronze disease as far as I can tell but that always worry me. I suspect that the coins have been in someones collection during the last decades; they have the same feeling as modern bronze coins after long-time storage in plastics, if you know what I mean.

Jan

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 06:01:13 am »
I have had good success cleaning off that 'feeling' with white spirit or rubbing alcohol.
Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity