Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Antonia: Official Mule or Barbarous?  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Antonia: Official Mule or Barbarous?
« on: March 04, 2011, 03:57:43 pm »
Purchased this interesting coin a few days ago.  It's Antonia by Claudius.  The obverse ANTONIA AVGVSTA with Claudius' CERES AVGVSTA reverse.  From what I can see the style looks official to me.  Both types were struck in 42 AD so the chance of mixing up dies is a possibility. Perhaps another pair of eyes could confirm.  Either way it's a very interesting coin. 

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Official Mule or Barbarous?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 07:45:15 pm »
I'd say definitely not Rome or one of the better provincial branch mints, but one of the second-level provincial branch mints, which were apparently trying to produce legitimate coins for circulation, but about whose official status it's hard to be certain.

Such mints usually got the type combinations right, so this is an interesting and rare mistake, that I can't recall having seen before!

Can you give diameter, weight, and die axis?
Curtis Clay

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 08:20:06 pm »
Thanks Curtis, it's still in the mail but the dealer says it's 10.9g and 29mm wide.  I will give die axis when it arrives in hand.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 03:48:25 pm »
Hi Curtis, the die axis is 180 degrees.  10.93g.  Die axis is something I've never noted on any of my coins.  Out of curiosity what does die axis tell us?

It's a pitty about the encrustations...it looks like there was a really nice portrait there at one time.

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
Re: Antonia: Official Mule or Barbarous?
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 04:57:51 pm »
That's a very interesting mule indeed, Jay. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 05:02:06 pm »
Thanks, the coin is much better in hand.  I will try and get a better photo of it.  Some of the detail in Antonia's face is not showing up.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 08:54:25 am »
Hi Curtis, the die axis is 180 degrees.  10.93g.  Die axis is something I've never noted on any of my coins.  Out of curiosity what does die axis tell us?

Jay,

Die axis can be an attribution criterion, because sometimes different mints used different axes, or the axis changed over time, so that coins showing a certain axis must have been struck before or after a certain date.

An example, apparently first noticed by Anne Robertson in her Glasgow catalogue: Tiberius' bronze coins have either an upright or an inverted die axis, whereas Caligula's always have an inverted axis. The anonymous asses of Agrippa always have an inverted axis, therefore they must have been issued under Caligula not Tiberius.
Curtis Clay

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 08:05:46 pm »
Excellent, thanks Curtis.  So all my other Claudius coins are the same 180 degree die axis like this one.  Can we deduce then that it is from an official mint...or at least lend weight to that theory?

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 11:55:39 am »
No, mint attribution has to depend on style. Nothing prevented an imitative mint from getting the die axis right!
Curtis Clay

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Joe and Caligula at the Getty
    • Julio Claudian Coins and Art
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 07:25:03 pm »
Very unique Jay, thanks for sharing/
CCAESAR

All coins are guaranteed for eternity