Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Kings of Northumbria Sceat unknown obverse inscription – help please  (Read 798 times)

Offline Connect4

• Caesar
I have just acquired this Styca (Sceat) in a Roman lot.
1.00gr 12.2-13.2mm 6hr (using cross)
I have narrowed it down to Kings of Northumbria 810-841 moneyer Fordred.  But the obverse seems to read ERDFRN?F?X I cannot find any similar.  I have found a few references to this period on our site.  If I have posted incorrectly, I'm sorry, can someone suggest a more appropriate forum?
Thanks

Offline Merinda

• Consul
Re: Kings of Northumbria Sceat unknown obverse inscription – help please
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 03:46:30 am »
These are well known for having many blundered legends, so your identification might be as close as you can get; Fordred is a well-attested moneyer during the period at least!

Reagrds

Allan

Offline Connect4

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 04:04:09 am »
Thanks Alan I now guess it is going to be a blundered version of Eanred (Kings of Northumbria), c.810-841

Offline Merinda

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 01:43:20 pm »
You are welcome; there is an extensive study of these that lists over 2250 specimens: 'Coins of the Kingdom of Northumbria, c. 700 to 867', by Elizabeth Pirie; in that study, many of the coins of Eanred are noted as having retrograde obverse legends, so looking again at your specimen, I think you are spot on, it seems to read XERDERNAE, i.e EANRED REX

Offline Connect4

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 03:29:22 pm »
Thanks Alan
It is great to get an exact match!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity