Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Shekels of Tyre minted in Jerusalem  (Read 20915 times)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: Shekels of Tyre minted in Jerusalem
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2011, 07:19:36 pm »
Quote from: Lucas H on March 01, 2011, 07:41:10 pm
I have both Brooks Levi's papers

I would absolutely love a copy if it's not too much trouble.  I spent a good deal of time today trying to find them online, but I was unsuccessful.  Please let me know.

Sorry, I missed this. PM me your email.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Hugo G2

• Auxiliary
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2018, 05:06:54 am »
A very interesting discussion.However, 7 years ago. I would like to re-open this topic. I wonder if there is new knowledge, fresh insights, new sources etc.

In the former discussion, I missed the connection between the Tyrus Shekel (minted until Year 191 65/66 AD) and its successor for paying temple tax, the new revolutionary Jerusalem Temple Shekel, minted in Jerusalem from 66 AD until the the fall of Jerusalem by the roman legions (70 AD).
Obviously, the zelotic rebels rejected the pagan Tyrus shekel with the god Melkart. They replaced it by the "pure" Shekel (from a jewish religious point of view). Was it difficult at that time (even in a war period) to set up a complete new minting infrastructure for minting silver coins? Or was the conquered Jerusalem mint of the Tyrus shekel used by the jewish rebels? This more plausible assumption would support the Meshorer´s theory.

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2018, 10:09:04 am »
Well they already had a well-established and productive bronze mint, I can't imagine expanding to silver would to too much of an innovation.

It is worth noting that the revolt sheqels are technologically different in many ways from the Tyrian ones. The revolt sheqalim are thick, with flat hammered edges, while even KP Tyrian sheqalim never are. In my view, this also suggests a separate mint.

Other than Meshorer, I cannot think of any scholar who agrees with the Jerusalem theory. It has been rejected in RPC, Ariel and Fontanille, B. Levy's papers on the subject, etc.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2018, 03:25:51 pm »
I am no scholar, but I have not rejected the Jerusalem theory. I'm not convinced one way or another.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2018, 09:03:36 pm »
Here are a few shekels from my collection. A year 2 revolt shekel with a 103/102 BC Tyrian shekel and the second with a 52/53 CE KP shekel.  No hammered edge on the KP shekels but the similarity is noteworthy.

Offline Hugo G2

• Auxiliary
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2018, 02:32:26 am »
It is still very difficult to get access to the publications of Brooks Levy, especially from outside the US. The here cited "Spanish museum" link is not working anymore. However, I found her article "Later Tyrian shekels: dating the “crude” issues; reading the controls" at another website:
https://s3.docmh.com/uploads/DS2017/06/12/vNlmrORQhr/e069dadf4e982ab3e96e5dd6b8729143.pdf

Offline Ibex-coins

• Consul
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2018, 12:32:29 pm »
It has been a number of years since I was in communication with her, but Brooks levy was always gracious with her time and was very gracious in corresponding with me in the past and even sent me copies of her articles and presentations.  She even made some helpful comments and additions about an article I was writing

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2018, 07:21:58 pm »
Try contacting her. that's probably your best bet.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Yoel S

• Legionary
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2024, 07:30:48 am »
I have both Brooks Levi's papers, and I seem to have got the scanner working again. If anyone wants a copy of the other one, let me know, and I'll try to scan it.

I realize that this was many years ago, but if someone has Dr. Brooks Levy's papers, I'd be much obliged.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity