Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My modest gallery  (Read 56 times)

Offline Yoel S

• Legionary
My modest gallery
« on: January 28, 2024, 01:49:36 pm »
Hi!

I'm new to the Forum, and I've just posted pictures of my modest gallery of coins (https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=55966).

I must say that I've been very impressed by the willingness of a number of experts in this field (Drs. Meir, Ariel, Leonard, Brooks Levy, and Hendin) to answer what must seem to be "newbie" questions from a very amateur numismatist. I thank all of you for your time and patience as well! :)

I try to collect specimens that have a close connection to Jewish history, and I use them as educational aids to help make our rich history come alive for others.
I don't have many coins, but the ones I do mean a great deal to me:

-          For Purim: Silver siglos (Carradice type IIIb A/B, Near Very Fine, 16.7mm, 5.54 g), Xerxes I - Darius II, 480–420 BCE (I know that neither darics nor siglos were in use here in Israel during that time, but it's interesting to have a coin of Achashverosh J)

-          For Chanukah: Bronze Hyrcanus I prutah, Jerusalem mint, 1.98g, 13.6mm, obverse Hebrew inscription, Yehohanan the High Priest and Council (of Jews), surrounded by wreath; reverse double cornucopia adorned with ribbons, pomegranate between horns

-          For Tisha B'Av: Bronze prutah (3.3 g - 18.8 mm), Jerusalem mint, year 2 of the Jewish War (67/8 CE).

-          For Purim: PHOENICIA, Tyre AR silver half shekel, 19mm, 7.0g. Tyre, or Jerusalem (as per Meshorer), dated CY 162 (36-37 CE). Laureate head of Melkart right, lion skin around neck. Reverse - Eagle standing left on prow; palm frond in background; to left, PΞB (date) above club; to right, KP above XX; Phoenician A between legs. DCA-Tyre 385 (same dies as illustration, also a die match for Triton XXV, #6161); RPC I 4695; HGC 10, 358; DCA 922.

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
Re: My modest gallery
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2024, 03:08:43 pm »
Yoel,

Welcome to Forum's discussion board. Congrats on starting a gallery; I look forward to future additions. Yes, you will find so many on this discussion board who are wildly knowledgeable and more than willing to assist by sharing that knowledge. Don't forget to check Joe's coin shop for his latest offerings. I check it at least once a day.

All the best,

Tracy

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2024, 08:16:38 pm »
Welcome!  A great start!

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2024, 12:35:10 pm »
Welcome Yoel,

It is good that you have a collecting theme to focus on and you have chosen some very nice coins to begin your collection with.

Alex

All coins are guaranteed for eternity