Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: what's handle?  (Read 1212 times)

turanoid

what's handle?
« on: February 27, 2011, 10:29:29 am »
Hi there!
What do you think about of this item?

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: what's handle?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 03:15:15 pm »
I think knowing the size is important to determing what it might be. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

turanoid

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 09:58:50 pm »
I think knowing the size is important to determing what it might be. 

Hi Joe;
It's 7,5g. - 44 X 11mm.
thanks...

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 10:02:18 am »
Dear MY5IAN,

While I am no expert, I have come across many articles and catalogues which claim that items like this are strap ends (that is the went on the end of a leather belt or horness strap).  They are often described as Avar or Slav and dated to 6th-9th centuries.  I suspect that the exact shape and decoration (they often seem to have line designs on one face and yours appears to as well) would determine it more closely if you could find the right reference guide.  This would fit if yours is a Balkan find.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity