Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: How do I clean this thing?  (Read 1584 times)

Steve W

How do I clean this thing?
« on: February 25, 2011, 09:31:52 pm »
Hello, everybody.  I'm pretty new to ancient coins, so I would like your advice on how to proceed with cleaning the coin picured here.  I've been soaking it in distilled water for some time now, and then brushing it with a soft bristle brush from time to time.  A lot of details are showing that weren't before.  But, when I've cleaned other ones that got to this point, I accidentally removed the patina with overly strong cleaning methods (a Dremel with a brass brush).  Before I ruin this one as well, what's the best method of finishing the cleaning process?  Should it just soak more in distilled water?  Is there a way to brush off the rest of the dirt without depatinizing it?  Thanks for any replies.

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
Re: How do I clean this thing?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 04:57:22 am »
Steve,
From what I can see of the coin, most of what is left seems to be patina and not dirt.  So in short I am not sure there is much more to clean. 
However, try getting a something like a scalpel and GENTLY make small scraping movements on one part of the coin, and preferably NOT one of the devices or letters.  Yes it takes time if done carefully.  Then look at the edge of the blade.  Have you got any black/brown showing on the blade?  If so and the coin is not looking damaged then maybe there is more that can come off, so continue.  It is a slow process, and TBH, not always apparent where you should stop sometimes, but on coins like this where the details appears to be in the patina more than any residual metal, it is the best way to do it.
Once you are sure that you are on the patina, then stop and move to another part of the coin.  Again, that is easier said than done sometimes, but unfortunately until you have done it a few times you may go through patina before realising.  With a lttle practice and experience you will start to almost feel the difference through the scraping, and you will learn how to angle the blade to scrape with less chance of ruining the patina.  In essence I always view it as trying to "shave" the coin, and take a small layer off at a time.
Hope this rambling answer helps,
regards
Mark

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 06:39:33 am »
Here's a cut and paste of the coin so it's easier to see.

I agree with Mark.  This looks to be patina to me.  I don't think I'd go further.

Offline Tacitus

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 12:15:17 pm »
Do I see a fel temp repario on the reverse?

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 12:34:33 pm »
You have done well. STOP!!!
PeteB

Offline Marti Vltori

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 01:02:30 pm »
I agree, that coin is about as clean as it is going to get. There does seem to be a bit of material in some of the deep recesses and I can share with you something that has worked well for me to remove dirt from such areas.

Coat the coin in a generous amount of minwax finishing wax. Let it dry very well, you can even harden it a bit under the heat of a lamp. Next, brush it out with a soft toothbrush. This will often lift alot of the hard to reach dirt out.

Steve W

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 09:10:08 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I've had it soaking since I made the original post, and it does look a little better.  I think I'll leave it as is.  But, does anybody recognize what it might be?  I can make out the letters "Cons", so that narrows it down quite a bit, but I can't make out the rest of it.

Offline ickster

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 09:31:36 pm »

All coins are guaranteed for eternity