Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Reusing the Portraits  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Tacitus

• Caesar
Reusing the Portraits
« on: February 21, 2011, 05:43:13 pm »
How many emperors actually had the previous emperor's portait on the coins?  (i.e.  how many portraits got resused?)... I am not meaning commemoratives or posthumous issues...

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Reusing the Portraits
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 05:45:37 pm »
During civil wars I think this happened quite a bit.  I have a few coins of Vespasian that look like Vitellius and one that looks like Vitellius with Otho's hair!  I started a picture thread a few months ago, I'll try to dig it up.

EDIT: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=61370.0 

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 12:22:13 pm »
It happened in several third century AD reigns as well, sometimes with very slight modifications. For one, Trajan Decius's reused portraits of Philip I as his own early in his coinage.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 03:50:21 pm »
Early Postumus issues look remarkably like Gallienus.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline dafnis

• Consul
  • ad astra per aspera.
    • Numismática Antigua
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 05:09:42 pm »
It's also very interesting to see the very first Traianus coins, how they resemble Nerva and how over time they get their distinctive Traianus look after a few iterations.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity