Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ottoman or Imitative AE with Tungra  (Read 744 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Ottoman or Imitative AE with Tungra
« on: February 19, 2011, 02:43:29 pm »

This coin, found in Jerusalem, was unattributed by Seltman and Malloy.  It seems to be Ottoman or imitative of Ottoman.  I have not found anything similar online.  I don't even know what denomination it could be.   

Bronze AE 18, weight 1.444g, maximum diameter 18.7mm, obverse Tungra; reverse blundered Arabic perhaps imitative of "struck in Constantinople?, 1171?"

From the collection of Alex G. Malloy, former dealer for 40 years and co-author of "Coins of the Crusader States." Ex A.J. Seltman Collection.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

KIR

Re: Ottoman or Imitative AE with Tungra
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 03:01:21 pm »
I have seen these in some holy land lots, this is indeed a contemporary forgery, possibly Arabs imitating Ottoman coins blundered Tughra and date, seems to be from the Mustafa III times as mentioned or also 1170AH, larger image would be better, but yea is

Contemporary Forgery of an AE Mangir around 1170AH possibly from Misr Halab or Bagdad

All coins are guaranteed for eternity