Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Are there any evidence for prices; 260-294?  (Read 741 times)

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
Are there any evidence for prices; 260-294?
« on: February 10, 2011, 01:20:24 pm »
Are there any surviving fragments of prices of the silvered Antoninianus from 260-294?  I would assume the Ant. by then was about equal to the As of the Augustan period.

Do you think that the post-270 Sestertii were ceremonial pieces handed out by the State at largesses?

Emanuele Giulianelli

Re: Are there any evidence for prices; 260-294?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 04:12:17 am »
In the first century. A.D. a gold (gold coin) was equivalent to 25 denarii (silver coin), 100 sesterces (bronze coin), 400 aces (bronze coin). So a denarius corresponded to 4 sesterces and a sestertius to 4 As.

With a As you could buy 542 grams of corn, two pounds of lupine, a quarter of ordinary wine, half a kilo of bread, or go to the spa. Then an As might be worth roughly € 0.5 and € sestertius about two.

Over two centuries later (late third century AD) to buy 6.5 pounds of grain needed 240 sesterces (they took three in the first century AD). Then, because inflation had devalued the sestertius 80 times its value could be roughly estimated at just over two cents €.

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Are there any evidence for prices; 260-294?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 12:54:36 pm »
It appears the denarius became even more worthless than I thought.  One wishes one had 240 of the post-275 Sestertii.  Those seem to be missing from even the high end collections.  My Sestertius collection ends with a tooled Aurelian double Sestertius.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity