Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Coins used in high school lesson (PICS!)  (Read 3401 times)

Offline Joseph T

• Praetorian
Roman Coins used in high school lesson (PICS!)
« on: March 13, 2011, 08:47:45 am »
As promised, I used my coins for a lesson this past week in class.

For those of you who do not know, I am a new high school history teacher. I have realized that for the current generation, it has essentially come down to me verses their cell phones in class. As such, I am ALWAYS looking for alternative lessons to conduct with my students. Hands-on activities are a must.

Unfortunately, by the time I finally started collecting Roman coins, I had already covered the "Ancient World" with my students. Luckily, the Latin teacher in our building had heard about my ideas and asked me to team-teach with her.

I spoke about the history of ancient Roman coins in general, the fact that they are primary documents, and I talked about roughly how much they were worth/ what they could buy back then. I also spoke about how they are found and how much they are worth today. I also shared some Roman rings and a ballista arrowhead with the students.

The teacher I team-taught with had the students copy down any Latin they could find on the coins and she helped them translate it to English. I offered a list of abbreviated terms that might have been useful.

The students REALLY ate everything up. They were genuinely interested and enthusiastic about the subject. They showed respect towards my coins and they asked so many great questions! At the end of the lesson I let each student keep a slug I had culled from my small collection.

At the first possible moment, I WILL do this again with my students. I am planning on having my 9th or 10th graders do an archaeological dig/ clean some coins.

Enjoy the pictures, everyone! Feel free to leave comments and ask any questions!

P.S. Myself and a few of the students were a little camera-shy. Please excuse any pictures that look slightly posed!  :P

Offline rover1.3

• Tribunus Plebis 2012 / Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Roman Coins used in high school lesson (PICS!)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 09:01:01 am »
That's real sharing! Congratulations on this wonderful idea.

Best regards

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 09:05:05 am »
Yes, I second Rover.  I'm really pleased for you that the idea worked well!
regards
Mark

Online Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 10:55:26 am »
Thats very cool. Glad to see someone follow up with a update. Dont see that often online.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 10:56:59 am »
Nice, I wish they did that here!
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline Joseph T

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 11:28:30 am »
Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

I really had such a great time.

The students were really blown away by the fact that these coins once played an important role in the lives of ancient people. They also really connected with the fact that the coins served as "newspapers" back then to announce military victories, the construction of new buildings, etc.

marcvs_traianvs

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 12:45:20 pm »
A teacher such as yourself was the one who got me interested in collecting ancient coins back when I was in high school, so you potentially are creating a whole new generation of collectors.  Always great to hear that teachers are using different tactics to make learning interesting.

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 04:42:57 pm »
That's very cool, and a wonderful way to instill interest of ancient history into the students.

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 05:31:14 pm »
I wish I had a history teacher as engaging and creative as you are Joseph! What a wonderful way to show students that history is indeed tangible.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 06:13:11 pm »
That's great Joseph!  When I was in highschool most of my classes were History and Art and even Art-History  :)  My favorite teacher was also connected to the Royal Ontario Museum and every chance she could she would bring in amazing ancient things.  She would even get us into the basement of the Museum for hands on excursions.  It had a profound influence on me.  Great job!  Keep it up!

Offline Joseph T

• Praetorian
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 07:26:02 pm »
Thats pretty cool, looks like Michael jackson even joined in; thriller costumed even  ;D ;D ;D. It seems that once I was out of the 6th grade teachers stopped doing things like that.

lol, I was waiting for someone to mention this... they used that MJ cut-out in a homecoming parade a few years ago.

Thanks to all for the kind words!

Offline Daniel Stewart

• Conservator
  • Praetorian
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 11:17:55 am »
All collectors have coins (cleaned and uncleaned) that are surplus--sitting in a box where they will remain unseen for years because they don't fit our interests at the moment. These same coins in the hands of Joe's students could stimulate an enthusiasm for history (and maybe coin collecting) that would enrich their lives.

This is by way of an exhortation--without Joe's permission--to contribute some coins to this project. I won't give Joe's email address; but if you were to message him privately, I think he might like to hear from you.

Dan

Offline daverino

• Caesar
    • My Gallery:
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 03:41:10 pm »
The use of ancient coins to make history tangible is a great idea. Before seeing them many of your students likely thought of ancient Greece and Rome as something from a Hollywood costume drama (just as I did at their age).

Regards, Dave

Offline Joseph T

• Praetorian
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 06:22:23 pm »
Thanks again, everyone! I'm so glad I was able to do this and also share it with all of you. I'm currently planning a lesson using my collection of helmets and artifacts I have from World War II.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity