Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Joey T's Befores. FIRST TIMER!  (Read 2408 times)

Offline Joseph T

• Praetorian
Joey T's Befores. FIRST TIMER!
« on: January 31, 2011, 09:16:22 pm »
Hello all,

I just received my coins in the mail. I'm a first timer, and while super excited to try my hand at cleaning and attributing these coins... to be honest I am also terrified of ruining them.

I'll do my best! Be gentle on me!

Here are my thoughts:

(I'll be referring to the smallest coin as #1, the next largest as #2, etc., etc., etc.)

#1 has me confused but excited! I may be totally wrong, but it could be almost anything... and I hope there is a lot of detail under that grime.

I feel the same way about #2 as I do #1. In addition, on the reverse there seems to be a square-like shape.

When I first opened up the package I was thrilled to see #3. The bust peeking through on the obverse was really cool to see as a first timer. I don't really know what to say about the reverse... I don't know anything about latin... but it seems that it says "CELTA"? I can't really make out any of the other details.

#4 is a coin that I would be proud to show friends and co-workers as-is. I know I can obviously give it some TLC ... but I don't expect to be working on this one for too long.

FINALLY... #5 has me worried. It seems totally encrusted and the "obverse" seems to have some sort of growth on it. I don't know where to begin on this one... and it seems like it's going to be a royal pain in the rear.

Don't mind the quarter. I also sent these pictures to friends who have no experience in the subject so I included it for size reference.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: Joey T's Befores. FIRST TIMER!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 10:25:23 pm »
Welcome! That looks to be a nice lot. Take all the time you need, there is no rush what so ever. :)

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 10:51:10 pm »
Welcome!  Just at first glance #3 and 4 look the most promising.  Nice lot you got there!

Offline Joseph T

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 09:50:37 am »
Thank you, guys!

I'm hoping #1 and #2 are just encrusted with easy to remove gunk and have a good amount of detail hidden on them.  8)

As I go through the process of cleaning these I will try to determine if cleaning coins will be a feasible project for my high school history students.

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 04:56:59 pm »
Sounds like a fantastic idea.  

Maybe you can clean coins as an ‘in class’ project, so you can closely supervise the process.  The truly educational part will be identifying the final product(s) then placing the coins “in context” (area & era).   What a great way to introduce your students to why Numismatics is such a valuable tool to historians and archeologists.

Offline Joseph T

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 06:02:24 pm »
My thoughts exactly!

Because bulk lots are so inexpensive, I also plan to let my students keep the coins they clean. It's not often that high school history students get to put their hands on history... let alone bring history home!

Special thanks to Forum member Daniel Stewart. He has offered to send me a bunch of coins to get my plans off the ground!  ;D

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 11:09:50 am »
So...to keep this off subject for a little while longer...what happens when one of your student finishes cleaning coin and its a super rare Octavian/Caesar bronze that the diggers missed and would fit in to your blossoming collection perfectly? You still gonna let them keep it?  ;)

Chris

Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Joseph T

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 12:58:04 pm »
lol... I guess that's a risk I'm going to have to take!

My smallest two coins are soaking as we speak... here goes nothing!

gavignano

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 08:33:31 pm »
Enjoy Joe - 5 will take a while but could hold a decent coin. I wish the best for 1 and 2, but the little guys usually aren't struck too well or on center, but, there are some real scarce ones out there. I think you will greatly enjoy attributing #4.

Offline Joseph T

• Praetorian
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 10:44:51 pm »
I went to town on the two small ones.

I took off a considerable amount of dirt on the smallest one, and at one point I could have sworn I saw a bust... but not anymore! I hope I didn't ruin it! :( I'm hoping my eyes were just playing tricks on me because I'm so determined to find something on these coins...

Right now I have them sitting in an olive oil bath

All coins are guaranteed for eternity