Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: When I keep TWO image pairs, and why  (Read 1534 times)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
When I keep TWO image pairs, and why
« on: January 29, 2011, 02:39:21 am »
I just got one of those narrow flanned Septimius denarii, also the dies not the freshest (nor yet worn out) and the flan preparation and striking not of the finest (nor yet deplorable).
I was right in thinking it is just the sort of coin that can look either quite pretty or not pretty in legitimate normal photos, the kind I take with two lamps or three adjusting heights and angles a bit, but only a bit, and religiously photographing the reverse identically to the obverse.
For this nice little PROFECTIO rider, first I used three lamps to maximize surface properties and to provide even lighting; then I used only two lamps, the left at ±10h and right at ±2h, at about 45°, to emphasize what artists call plastic values—rounded relief and nice facial features.
It wouldn't make much difference on a denarius that cost three times as much, but it does on one like this.  Anyway, I like it.  It has a funny horse.
•• 27 01 11 ARden 16mm 2.687g axis ~6h  Rome Septimius Severus, laureate, head to r. L SEPT SEV PERT IMP VIII (RIC 91) or IMP VIIII (RIC 106).  Rev. Profectio: emperor riding to r. with spear held diagonally.  PROFEC  T  I   O AVG, with T and I interrupted by spearhead and horse's head.  Needless to say, less than the whole legends are on this narrow-flan specimen.
CLICK to zoom up to 1000 pixels across.  DSC 0022 is the one with 3 lamps on.
Pat L.

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
Re: When I keep TWO image pairs, and why
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 06:55:26 am »
The second, two-lamp version certainly makes this likeable coin look more attractive.

When I look at these, they seem to have an overtall greenish tone, but to my surprise, on analysis in Photoshop, although the background has more green than other tones, the coin itself has more red.  An example reading is R=108 G=103 B=83 in the horse's shadow; the exact figures vary over the coin.  It's the lack of blue that makes it look greenish, as was shown by a quick experiment in creating tones.  The background varies too, but an example is R=155 G=168 R=158 to the right of the nose.   I wonder if this is a quality of the bulbs you are using.

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 06:42:21 pm »
The greenish background comes from the manufacture of the glass that I place over my Corning glass baking dish.  When only the two upper lamps are on, there is more background variation.  So I don't worry about those.  I use the Levels and simply get the coin (the two halves already 'flattened') to make it look like metal and as close as possible, without monkeying around, to the neutral gray that Apple provides as one alternative window background.  The room is full of stuff, though, and the Nikon's CCD seems to pick up even light from other rooms and reflections from my own clothes (but last night I had gray sweat togs).  I don't mind very much, so long as the silver coins don't look like shortbread cookies or blue moons.
Three lamps is 50% brighter than two, and the three lamp image is sharper, but the second one is sharp enough for looking at. 
The room is dull apple green with a dingy cream ceiling, but the overhead lamps are off.
The camera seems to 'sense' the alloy of Severan silver, since the Republican one I posted last week in Forvm COTD looks more silver.
The two desk lamps are a pair; the third is a standing lamp, but another Ott light, and it takes the same long mini-fluorescents.
Pat

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 03:12:47 pm »
It's very easy to pick up unexpected colour tints.  I turn off the room light, which is yellower than my lamp, and when I stood by the camera I had to remember not to wear a brightly coloured top.  (Now I click the mouse.)

Silver from different periods does photograph differently and fairly consistently.  The purer it is, the shinier. 

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

All coins are guaranteed for eternity