Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: House of Vestals in Roman Forum Reopens Today to Public  (Read 1453 times)

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Soxfan

• Praetorian
Re: House of Vestals in Roman Forum Reopens Today to Public
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 08:41:12 pm »
Im going to get a good look at this when Im there in April, cant wait.

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 09:28:23 pm »
Shame the Vestals arent still there, tee hee :afro:
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 04:26:33 pm »
Would you really want a bunch of pampered, aristocratic ladies ordering you around?
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Mark Z

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 11:37:39 am »
Would you really want a bunch of pampered, aristocratic ladies ordering you around?

Depends. How much money do they have and how cute are they?  :evil:

mz

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 01:12:03 pm »

mz

Plenty of money and probably not bad looking, but they mean to stay virgins, so what's the point? :evil:
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 02:30:55 pm »
Hey if Aquilia Severa can do it, certainly some others can too ;D
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Mark Z

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 03:07:51 pm »
Quote from: commodus on January 30, 2011, 01:12:03 pm

mz

Plenty of money and probably not bad looking, but they mean to stay virgins, so what's the point? :evil:

I hadn't thought of that!  :'(

mz

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 03:17:05 pm »
Any vestal who was found not to be virgin would be buried alive. Vesta didn't accept the service of non-virgins, and was likely to take revenge. So if something horrendous happened, like the destruction of the Roman army at Cannae, a Vestal could easily be ceremonially interred.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 03:58:54 pm »
The Vestals were considered to be the protectoresses of the city as they maintained the sacred flame of Vesta. Any scandal involving any ot them was, therefore, a grave matter of state. It happened on several occasions that Vestals who broke their vows of chastity were entombed alive in a special crypt built for that purpose outside the Colline gate (near the site of the Baths of Diocletian). Vows were for terms of thrity years, and as most Vestals took them in childhood, many were still in their late thirties or early forties when released from them. Those that chose to do so at that time could marry and some did; most stayed with the order, however. The Vestal order was very wealthy and the Vestals were accorded a high degree of privilege in Roman society, a degree not afforded to other women, even Patrician matrons and other priestesses.
The Vestal order was abolished by the emperor Theodosius I in 394 AD and the sacred flame extinguished. Within a year Theodosius died and the empire was irrevocably split between East and West. This wasn't like the political divisions that had occurred previously in Rome's history, but was a permanent splitting of the Roman Empire into two separate states, essentially dissolving the empire as it had existed up to that time. The inept Honorius ruled the West and his equally capable brother Arcadius the East, which was from that point forward what we think of as Byzantium. The West, now on its own, grew progressively weaker; the sack of Rome by the Visigoths under Alaric I occurred in 410. Interpret this as you will, but in a very real way the long-held belief that Rome would permanently crumble were the sacred flame of Vestal ever to be extinguished did, in fact, come to pass.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity