Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Familiar/Unfamiliar Tiberius and Augustus AE18 Provincial  (Read 736 times)

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Familiar/Unfamiliar Tiberius and Augustus AE18 Provincial
« on: January 19, 2011, 10:58:23 am »
Dear Board,

A friend recently sent me close-up images of what appears to be a Roman provincial of Tiberius and Augustus, which I have attached here.  The coin is 18mm in diameter and weighs 5.2g.  So far, my attempts to attribute it haven't been very successful.  While it has the look of a Thessalonica issue of Tiberius and Augustus, the legends (what is left of them) just don't seem to match in any way I have tried.  The weight also seems a bit low for these types.

What do others say?  Thank you in advance for any tips!      

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Thilo

• Consul
Re: Familiar/Unfamiliar Tiberius and Augustus AE18 Provincial
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 12:38:18 pm »
What about this one?

ERD: AM
PRO: CARIA
PO : ANTIOCHEIA
PZ : Zwischen 4 und 14 
 Vorderseite
VSG: KAISAR SEBASTOS ANTIO
VT : PORTRAET MANN R / AUGUSTUS
VA : KRANZ LORBEER
 Rückseite
RSG: XERXHS EYGENETWR APOLLODOTOS TIBERIOS
RT : PORTRAET MANN R / TIBERIUS
 Technische Daten
M  : AE
GR : 20(1)
GEW: 4.97(1)
ST : 12(1)
 Literatur
ZIT: RPC I 2833(1) / COLL BERLIN(1) <IMHOOF>
 Freitexte
FR : VS: KAISAR SEBASTOS ANTIO RS: XERXHS EYGENETWR APOLLODOTOS TIBERIOS 

Sorry, I cannot look up RPC. Maybe someone else can to give confirmation or not.

Kind regards

Thilo

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 08:04:20 pm »
Dear Thilo and Board,

Thanks for the sleuthing work, Thilo!  Once again, it didn't occur to me to look in Isegrim.  As you suggested, if someone could compare the coin under question with the Antioch ad Meandrum piece listed in RPC I, I would be very grateful!  I think it is fairly certain that reference has the answer to this problem somewhere in its pages...     

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Kurt E

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 10:34:39 pm »
Mark,
   Your coin is different than RPC I 2833.  The style is different and the head of Tiberius is much smaller.  The search goes on!

Kurt

All coins are guaranteed for eternity